Chapter 28

Chapter 28

*Adam's POV*

Josh slammed the door behind him then dropped three duffle bags on the floor with a sigh. I turned my head to look at him over the back of the couch.

"That looks like the conversation didn't go as planned." Josh shrugged and dropped onto the couch with a huff.

"Guess I don't have any tolerance for someone not taking accountability."

"So we're on our own?"

He nodded and I let my head fall on the back of the couch.

"Well let's get started planning. At least that means less people to have to loop into the planning stage. You go pull the maps we've created so far, and I will order a pizza and give Noah and Jameson a call."

He nodded and began to push himself back off the couch. He turned back to me. "We'll find her."

I didn't acknowledge his words primarily because they were said with so little confidence. I also didn't want false promises. I felt her so strongly this morning, but with no back-up it wasn't safe for her or my pack for me to go after her. An ill-conceived rescue mission would have been more of a suicide mission. Now I felt nothing. It was like the first night she had gone missing when there was no energy at all. I just had to fight to hold out faith that it would return like it had before.

He walked into the kitchen to pull out the maps we stored in a random empty cabinet. A fair amount of the original pack went rogue or passed away from the conditions. The ones that were left had only been kids at the time. What they did remember had all changed over the years.

As we searched, we would map out the area as best we could from memory. It made me feel like I was doing something besides just running in circles. A small area was mapped out around the pond, but nothing far enough to know if we would hit a small neighboring pack in the town over. Google satellite showed us nothing but trees for miles in all directions except the main stretch of road that ran through the surrounding towns. She had to be somewhere in that area that was built quickly enough to be ready when Henry arrived to take her, but still wasn't visible on the satellite images.

I dialed the pizza and put it on speaker so I could text Noah and Jameson to head over as soon as they could. It was Senior week at school meaning Noah was probably in graduation practice and Jameson was either sitting for a final or was getting out early from one.

We sat down and began making initial plans for the small campaign when there was a knock on the door. I grabbed some cash for a tip and pulled it open. Instead of the delicious smell of pepperoni, I was met with a group of young wolves being led by a bright pink headed Harmony.

"I didn't know there would be compensation, but I'll take it." She reached for the cash in my hand almost grabbing it before I could yank it back. "What a way to treat the people coming to help you. Dangle money then yank it away." She tisked a few times while I glanced back at Josh. He seemed just as confused.

"So, are we going to stand out here all day or you gonna let us in?" Cane grabbed her hand and squeezed it with a warning.

"Harmony you can't just talk to an Alpha like that. Do you want to get us all killed?"

She rolled her eyes and drug him in giving me barely enough time to step out of the way. The couple was followed in by three more young men. They all looked barely eighteen but gave off the energy of...disposable. They each made sure to not meet my eyes and gave a generous bow as they walked by. They continued to avert their eyes as they greeted Josh as well. I never realized that it must be exhausting to be a low rank in such a large pack.