Chapter 38

Chapter 38

*Josh's POV*

There were so many words I wanted to say. They all just caught in my throat. I was so happy that she was here. I wanted to reach out and wrap my arms around her to never let go, but I couldn't ignore the emotions that she couldn't hide.

When she first shifted I could feel the relief. The draw she had to me alone was undeniable, but when she stood in front of Josh there was a love and excitement that flowed out of her. I knew the love they shared was different than the love we would grow to have. It didn't make feeling it any easier.

As we walked across the yard it felt like there was a barrier between us. Neither knew what to say or do so we just walked in silence until we reached the front of the house. Her mouth opened into a small o while she looked up at it.

Random lights left on by her father's pack shone through windows in addition to the porch light burning.

"Do you like it?" I don't know if I was ever more afraid of hearing the answer no.

"It's beautiful. I can't wait to see it during the day." I released my breath and reached through the barrier to take her hand.

"It's ours...whenever you're ready." She glanced between the house and me.

"You're kidding?"

I shook my head and smiled at the excitement dancing on her face. She was mine. "It's a blank slate pretty much so we'll be able to do as we please. If you decide you don't like something we'll change it."

I took her other hand in mine so that she would turn and face me. "This will always be your home. You won't ever be alone if you don't want to be."

She sniffed and blinked rapidly trying to keep the tears from falling down her cheeks. Warm arms wrapped around my neck while her face found the crook of my neck. I was careful not to hug her tightly and cause further pain. When she pulled away she kissed my cheek. Heat spread across my face where her lips lingered for a few seconds longer than they had to.

"We should get you checkout by the doctor so you can get some rest." She nodded through a yawn as we made our way into the house.

She gasped as she took in the house around her. Despite it being mostly bare of furniture, the house was crisp, clean, and smelled of fresh paint.

"Have a seat, and I'll set up your room." She smiled shyly and walked slowly into the living room to sit on one of the recliner chairs. Sitting completely straight she was careful not to let her back touch the chair.

I walked to the master bedroom with sheets filling my arms. I opened the door with my foot. The scent from the room wafted into my nose. I couldn't help but growl smelling only Josh in our room. His belongs strode across the floor and the comforter even laid on the floor.

I clicked the door shut trying to swallow my anger. I made my way up the stairs to the second master bedroom. The rooms were identical in almost every way just one floor up.

I took slow deep breaths as I put fresh sheets on the bed along with a new pillow and comforter. The other wolves had gone home and thankfully cleaned up after themselves. I made a mental note to find a place for Josh to stay. Quickly.

Once the room was set up I put a fresh towel on the towel warmer in the bathroom, and ensured the bathroom was fully stocked.

When I came back downstairs Mom and Dr. Cassidy were already examining Lily as she sat on the chair. I could feel the anxiety rolling off her as Dr. Cassidy continued to check every inch of her body. After checking the visible areas, he hurried Mom and me out of the room to do a full exam.