Chapter 2

It felt like the day would never end. Every single one of my classes had at least one kid from the new pack. Being the welcome committee was getting old and boring even though we were only three periods into the day. So far, I had met three boys and two girls all in my grade.

Third period was chemistry and I thought I had made it in the clear. I dropped my shoulders in relief and ever so slightly drug my fingertips across the lab table creating a gentle wind through the open window. My seat was always the very back corner desk by the last window. As soon as I would walk into class, I would gently push the window open ever so slightly. Often the room became hot and stuffy, so a sneaky wind current never hurt anyone.

Mr. Brown stood at the front teaching his lesson. Mr. Brown was a regular human who looked like every stereotypical science teacher possibly imaginable. His dark rimmed glasses were big circle on his small face. His already short hair was balding on the top and dandruff dusted the shoulders of his plaid shirt. A few small coffee stains scattered the front of his khaki pants, but he seemed to not notice either.

"When one molecule of barium fluoride dissolves, one barium ion and two fluoride ions are introduced to the solution. As a result, barium ions increase by x- "A knock at the door interrupted his lecture and I sighed already feeling the wolf shifters energy.

The boy handed him a slip of paper. Mr. Brown's face was annoyed at being interrupted mid lecture, but he nodded and waved him into the students.

"Take your seat Mr. James. If you need notes for the beginning portion of the lecture, please partner with another student."

'Mr. James' walked towards the only empty seat left. The one next to mine. He had a strong energy fizzling from him, but he was not alpha level. He could have fooled anyone else though. I saw some of my own pack members drop their eyes in respect clearly fooled but I was not.

He dropped his backpack and slid onto the barstool style chair. He crossed his arms and propped his head onto them. I continued taking notes and resumed the breeze in through the window just a little lighter this time so it could pass for natural.

"If the solubility product constant of barium fluoride is 2.4∗10−5M, what is the solubility of barium fluoride?"

I began scribbling on my paper trying to work through the problem, but my new desk partner just sat there staring at the board. I was so focused I had not realized the wind was gradually getting stronger as it fed off my energy until it was pushing up the corner of my paper. I gasped and took a few deep breaths to calm the wind.

I tried to ignore the eyes I knew were now glued to me. I was not sure why Mr. Brown was not saying anything to this dude clearly not paying attention to his lecture, but the boy's eyes never left me.

The bell finally rang, and I quickly shoved my books into my red backpack and turned to leave but the newcomer stood in my way. He was about my height so I could easily see his silver eyes. His dark brown hair barely touched his shoulders brushing against the pale pink t-shirt. His black backpack was swung over one shoulder and he looked at me expectantly.

"What do you want?" My words were not the welcome Dad would have approved of but given the circumstances it felt appropriate.

"You must be the alphas daughter. The element bender." My eyes widened and I stepped back bumping the window farther open with my elbow. Shifters were common knowledge here but being an element bender was a secret. Many in my own pack did not even know about my ability.

"How do you know that?"

His eyebrows raised and he took a step towards me. The wind picked up blowing his hair around his face and I looked around to see where Mr. Brown was. He was digging around in his supply closet piling his arms with beakers for his next period experiment. "I didn't realize it was a secret."

"Well it is. Now move out of my way. Mr. James." The words came out in a hiss. His hands raised to chest level and he backed away slightly.

"The name is Noah. I do not mean any harm. We all know about you. We are in awe at your abilities was all. I didn't expect to meet you sitting in Chemistry class."

"Well you did. And now you need to step away." Noah stepped to the side and dropped his hands. The wind stopped altogether, and I threw my backpack on to rush out of the room.

I ran straight out the door into a waiting Josh's chest. His arm instinctively went around my shoulders.

"Let us go. No more school today." Josh's eyebrows furrowed together.

"Now Lils you don't skip school. Ever. You know your dad would flip."

"It's acceptable today."

"Do you think my dad would think so?"

"Pack business." His eyes narrowed but he nodded. Noah walked out of the classroom and Josh's grip tightened on me. Being a beta's son meant he felt an instinctual need to protect me. "So, bender has a mate?" Noah scanned his eyes up and down my second-best friend as if sizing him up. Josh was at least twice his size in bulk and stood almost a foot taller. Being a lineman for the high school football team meant lots of practice with intimidation.

I felt Josh's chest vibrate against my back as a low growl passed through his throat. "It's time you went on your way."

Noah raised his hands and walked down the hall. Josh pulled me the opposite direction towards the parking lot.

Being a senior meant Josh parked his car right beside the side entrance and we would be able to get out fast and undetected. We pushed through the door and into the sun. I felt the wind circle around me giving me a cool hello. I closed my eyes but quickly opened them when Josh growled a second time. My eyes shot open and the wind hit the person leaning against the black Jetta that was supposed to take us home. The wind almost knocked him off the car and he shook his head in anger.

"I had to come see what a pack full of mate stealers looks like for myself."

"I'm not sure what you're referring to, but I suggest you get off my car." Even though Josh was speaking, the boy's eyes never left mine. He walked almost within reaching distance and I felt the energy radiating from his body. He was short and stocky. Even with his hair cut short I could see the small curls layering his head. His eyes were almost glowing silver. I should have felt fear but instead I felt sympathy.

"Oh, that's a story to ask your dad about now isn't its little bender?"

I growled and felt my teeth begin to change to canines. The boy raised his hands like he was submitting but a cocky smirk that played on his lips said otherwise. He stepped to the side and made his way back inside the building.

"I guess it's time for a talk with Dad."