Chapter 10

Chapter 10

*Adam's POV*

Suddenly it all felt empty. I felt my stomach churn and before I could even register what had happened I felt a croak like sound claw its way up my throat. The plate in my hand dropped to the floor shattering across my feet.

"Adam!" Dad's voice was harsh at my reckless clumsiness, but Mom's hands wrapped around my arm guiding me backwards to a barstool. The new house was small and still smelled of fresh paint, but since it was only the three of us we didn't mind.

It had only been a few days into our residence and we had attempted to make it a tradition to always sit down for dinner at precisely seven. I think the routine brought mom peace and it forced her to remove herself from the dark should have been nursery. In that moment I never thought seven o'clock could be a peaceful time for me again.

"It's gone. She's gone." Dad looked hopelessly confused and a small sob came out of Mom's mouth. I wasn't sure if she had been holding it in the whole evening or if this one was new, but it made my stomach turn harder.

"When did you last hear from her?" Dinner was all but forgotten as he pushed himself away from the table. His boots crunched up the plate into further tiny pieces. Even though it felt like days since the connection was severed, in reality it had only taken him seconds to catch up.

I pulled my phone from my pocket and scrolled down to find her name. "One. Earlier today. She said there was family drama. She checked into a hotel. What's happening?"

"We need to go check on her. What hotel?"

This time I felt the warmth behind my eyes as I had to force back tears. "I don't know. I didn't ask. I thought I would be able to find her if she needed me because of the bond, but it's gone. I don't even know why she was there in the first place. She just said family drama."

His face went stern for a second. He gently placed his hands on Mom's frail shoulders and pulled her away from where I was sitting. Her shoulders shook the falling apart bun on her head and her whole body shook underneath her pale blue pajamas. Once she was far enough away he kicked the chair out from underneath me with a hard shove. The bottom bar where someone's foot would normally sit snapped in half and I barely caught myself on the kitchen counter before my head slammed against it.

"What the hell dad?"

"You just lost your mate's energy and you're sitting here moping. Get your ass up and go to her pack house and figure out what is happening."

I shook my head hard and used the counter to push myself off towards the door. I used voice command to call Noah while I slid on my tennis shoes. I would have preferred the boots that were sitting next to them, but Dad was right. I needed to stop wasting time, and a whole lot of lace tying wasn't on my agenda.

Before I had even started the car Noah was pulling open the door while trying to slide his arm through a plain black shirt. I put the truck in reverse and began to back out of the driveway before the door had finished closing.

"You know running would be faster."

I nodded but then shook my head. "We are going to her pack's compound. If we show up in wolf form we will be considered a threat and wouldn't make it even close to the surrounding fence." I tossed him my phone. "Keep dialing until something happens."

I watched as every minute of the drive he would click her name only to have the phone ring once and go straight to voicemail. After the thirty minute drive, I had the words pretty much memorized.

"Hey this is Lily. I'm not picking up the phone right now so send me a text and I'll probably respond. Leave a message if you want." Beep.

Over and over again.