Chapter 4

I knew if I had any chance of preventing another war then I had to talk to the future alpha. Dad would be furious, but it was necessary. As soon as I got off the bus I practically ran to my locker where I knew Harmony would be waiting. She was not just a pretty face. She was an awesome snoop. It was more than a little creepy how she was able to somehow gather so much information about pretty much anyone so quickly. She would be a strong investigator for the pack when we stepped up as leaders.

I saw her pink head before anything else bobbing as she bounced up and down. I could tell she had news and I felt a smile spread across my face. By the time I arrived at her side it was like she was about to burst. As soon as I was close enough not to be overheard, she began to word vomit everything she found.

"Adam Young. He is in our grade but did not start with the rest of the pack. They apparently had to put his name on a bunch of documents for their pack houses in case something happened to his dad. According to his future beta, Noah, he is extremely smart and a follow the rules type. Not to mention he is a looker to. I heard he is already six feet tall and has bright silver eyes. Man, if I didn't have Cane." She shook her head and tsked a few times.

"Did I hear my name?" Can came up behind Harmony giving her a kiss on the cheek.

"We were only talking about how awesome of a boyfriend you are." She smiled up at him and leaned back into his arms. "Good luck Lils." She handed me a piece of paper and winked at me before dragging Cane away.

I waved my hand and headed to my first period with books in hand. I started reading through the piece of paper she handed me. I gasped when I saw his name and student number in the top corner. I had just reached level extreme for stalking, but we shared almost every class together. The only classes we did not share were second and third. At least that meant I would be able to get this conversation over quickly.

I walked into first period homeroom and took my seat in the back corner with a window slightly open. Half the time our homeroom teacher did not even show until the last minute when she sulked in with a cup of coffee in one hand and her phone in the other. The room was pretty much empty since it was a thirty-minute period and we all knew the teacher was not showing.

He walked in shortly after I shoved my copy of his schedule in my bag. Harmony was right. He stood about six feet tall and had striking silver eyes. His black hair was cut short and his backpack was slung over one shoulder. I felt my breath catch in my throat and heart speed up in my chest.

"What's happening?" The words came out in a whisper more to me than anyone else. I looked down at my hands that had become warm and clammy. I looked up again to see him walking towards me with a curious look on his face. I felt heat spread in my cheeks and a rush of air busted through the window. His dark jeans hung low on his hips while is black t-shirt had a white tree climbing up the side of it. I wanted to look away, but I could not.

Suddenly the chair beside me moved and he sat down. His words came out in a deep strong voice. "Hello. The name is Adam."

I was certain if I tried to speak it would come out shaky and uncomfortable, but his awaiting eyes gave me no choice. "Lily. Nice to meet you."

This time it was his turn to have a blush spread on his cheeks. "I know. Noah told me all about you. I believe he used the words cautious, feisty, and beautiful. So far I've seen two of those traits and I hope to see the third."

He turned his head to the side and had a shy smile on his lips. I could not help but return the smile to him. "Maybe if you're lucky." I looked down but could feel his eyes never leaving mine. I wanted to reach out to touch his hand. The urge was so strong it was almost like there was a physical electricity between them. It was so strong she could see the blurry lines connecting them to each other.

Suddenly there was tap on his arm and his eyes shot up to meet the eyes of the girl that was clearly blind to what was happening. Her shorts might as well have been a pair of underwear. In fact, I was pretty sure that a normal person's underwear would have been more appropriate. She had on a white V-neck shirt with a bright red bra underneath. Classy.

"I thought we had a dress code." I meant to keep the words in my head, but I guess I was not that in control of my actions. Adam let out a snort that he tried to cover up with a cough, but he was very unsuccessful.

"You're just jealous is all." Her words came out in a purr as she stroked Adam's arm. His face grew uncomfortable and he pulled his arm away slowly. My stomach turned and I felt my breakfast creeping up my throat.

"She has nothing to be jealous of." My mouth formed a small o as I met his eyes again.

"Ms. Halaway! I suggest you make your way to the office and call your parents for a change of clothes before the final bell." Mrs. Santallo walked to her desk, coffee cup in hand and plopped down behind her laptop. The partially clad girl grabbed her binder and stomped out of the room.

"Wow. You must be special. Mrs. Santallo actually showed up to homeroom."

"Yeah well...hopefully my mate finds me a little special too." It clicked. I thought I was just attracted to him because he was cute, but that is not it at all. I had finally found my mate. I shook my head probably a little to hard to clear my thoughts. I could not put off the talk we needed to have.

"Someone in your pack. They are causing trouble. My father told me not to tell anyone yet, but you have the right to know." His hand tightened into a fist.

"Who? How do you know?"

"He blocked me off from leaving yesterday. Said we were a pack of mate stealers. It's a long story but you need to keep your eyes open."

"Open for what? Nobody has said anything negative about your pack. We had to sign a treaty to move home for god's sake!" He was squeezing his hand into a fist so tightly that his knuckles were sheet white. His face began to flush red and his body started to shake ever so slightly. I tried placing my hand on his arm, but he yanked away.

"Adam...I am trying to warn you. It's a long story,"

"We've got time." His jaw clenched and I could almost see his teeth grinding together.

The warning bell rang, and students started filing in. I groaned and put my head in my hands. Maybe my dad was right. How could I make him believe me?

"Do you know what's different about me?"

His eyebrows knitted together. "You are a friend to the elements." I nodded and leaned in closer.

"That's a secret Adam. Most of our pack do not even know. Yet all of you speak of my relationship with elements like it is common knowledge. Do you know the only person who did know?" I raised my eyebrows and waited for him to shake his head before continuing. "The man that was your former alpha. The man who was run out because he tried to kidnap and use my mother's powers to steal power. I am not telling you there is wrongdoing in your pack. That is not my place. But I am telling you to be careful because someone is stirring trouble for you."

The bell rang and Mrs. Santallo stood. I shot my hand up and she pointed at me. "I am not feeling so well. May I go to the nurse?" She waved her hand dismissing me, so I grabbed my books and bolted out the door.

I could hear her asking Adam to come introduce himself to the class and I knew I was safe from being followed.