Chapter 11

Chapter 11

*Adam's POV*

We went ahead and called the local cops. They pretty much let us keep to ourselves on issues involving our own, but this wasn't a simple case of two people fussing over a property line. Lily was gone, and I wanted every single person who could help there. They would at least have more forensic and possibly man power to find her than I would. We all knew whoever it was though would never make it to a trial.

The first on scene was Zack. He had moved to the area with our pack and found a nice job as a beat cop. He looked confused when our eyes met, but began taking Josh's statement. Before he had finished talking to Josh the parking lot was filled with police cars and flashing lights. A few guests were peaking their head out behind curtains to see what was going on.

As soon as the next wave of cops arrived Noah, Josh, and myself were all split up to different sides of the parking lot while another cop knocked on doors to see if any of the guests had seen anything. They had paired me with a non wolf shifter. Her name badge said Connie on it and I could smell what I thought could be fox on her. If that was her shift then the goddess chose well. Her skin was pale even in the dark. All of her features were angular and sharp, but her voice was soft and welcoming. She was very respectful asking me questions and seemed to generally look at me as the grieving mate, but there was something behind her eyes that told me she thought I had done it.

"How do you know that the victim is missing?"

"I can just feel it. She might already be dead. Or better yet I can't feel her is the problem." I wasn't sure how their mating process worked. If it was the same or maybe they didn't feel an energy pull and to her I just sounded like a lunatic.

"How long have you known her?" Her pen scribbled as she talked in the small notebook. I always wondered why they never just had a hand recorder. Would make these interviews a lot more reliable.

"Four days."

"Have you had any arguments or disagreements?"

I shook my head and dug my fingertips into the back of my neck. We were wasting time. "No. She texted me that there was drama with her family then she turned her phone off. She just wanted to be alone so I told her if she needed me to call. Now her phone goes straight to voicemail."

She nodded and closed her little notepad. She tucked it into a pocket on her belt and then stuffed the pen into her shift pocket just below her badge. She reached up to scratch her head but then thought better of it. I was assuming in order to prevent disturbing the slicked back bun on top of her head.

"Stay here. When all interviews are complete you'll be allowed to go. Don't leave town in case we need to talk about the case." With that she just walked away. I stayed leaning against the cop car. I pulled out my phone hoping for a missed call or text that I knew wouldn't be there.

9:39

I glanced over at Josh who had also finished his interviews. He stared hard up at the empty room. Nothing had looked out of place. It looked like an average hotel room that someone had taken a nap in and then left. Her clothes were gone if she had brought any to begin with and the only sign of distress had been the two puddles of water that soaked the entrance way carpet. They wouldn't know she was an element friend though so they didn't know that had been her protecting herself. A last stich effort. I tried my best not to blame Josh. He had been the one to drop her off. He left her here unprotected and vulnerable.

"She wanted to come here you know. I asked her if she wanted to go to you, but she didn't want to impose. You had just met." It was like Josh had read my thoughts and he was standing within a couple of feet of me. His hands stuffed into his pockets. His shoulders slouched and head dropped. The lights painted his face red and blue.