Chapter 27

*Sam's POV*

I cowered pushing my back against the tree, but Jupiter circled me. In all my years I had never seen a wolf smile much less do it in a sinister way. He made his way around a few more times snapping at my legs, but intentionally missing. Finally, he stopped in front of me preparing to make the final blow.

I didn't have anything left to fight back with. I had just been an accomplice to killing my own mate. That in itself was enough to earn me my death. Then I left the girl behind to fight alone. I had this coming, and I welcomed it.

He wagged his tail wiggling his butt slightly as he leaned into a crouching position. His lips curled up revealing yellow teeth. I sank down and closed my eyes. If I braced for it maybe it would go quickly. The pain in my face and abdomen were unbearable, and this would at least make it go away.

His hot breath lingered across my face for a split second before a rush of air, a whimper, and snap that made my stomach turn. Was this death? It didn't feel any different.

I was still in pain with my eyes shut tightly. I could still feel the bark stabbing me in uncomfortable places, but it was quiet. So quiet.

I large hand gently touched my paw, and I shot my eyes open. Ryan...but what was he doing here.

"You asked me once what my name was. It's Edric." His face was soft for a second before pulling his hand back. "My job was to protect you. I have fulfilled that purpose. You almost made it to the pond. Get there and soak in the water. You should be safe from here."

I lifted my head and whimpered slightly. "Don't follow me and don't look for me. I'm not one of the good guys. Not as bad as those guys." He glanced and stuck a thumb out towards Jupiter. "But not good. Go hide, and one of their scouts will find you soon."

He started jogging through the trees and then mid-shift he was gone. Even if I wanted to follow him, I wouldn't have been able to keep up. I hobbled in the direction he said and found a small pond that I already knew was here. If the pack that Henry was at before came looking this was the halfway point. I had never seen it, but Henry would describe it in excruciating detail after he moved me here. He told me the pack followed us here since we were the future of it. Once it was safe, I could meet all of them and they could meet our son.

I shook my head and dropped into the pool. Water seeped into the minor wounds, and I dipped lower. Janey brought him here. I could still faintly smell him, but he wasn't here.

Almost my entire body was covered in the water with only my head floating over the surface. I closed my eyes letting the water sway me back and forth rocking me to sleep.

*Janey's POV

"You're late Janey. Only one more tardy left for the year and you get a write up." I waved my hand at him and kept walking towards the break room. "You can't just wave and walk away from your boss!" I turned to look at Alan. He was a tiny man whose face flushed bright red whenever he felt someone wasn't stroking his ego enough.

"Isn't there some ethical obligation to not forcing your midwives to sleep over at patients' homes on their days off then keeping all the money she is paid for yourself?" He huffed and opened his mouth to speak quickly closing it again before repeating the process like a gaping fish. "Now if that's all you wasted my time with then I am going to get some coffee."

I kept walking and pinched the bridge of my nose between two fingers. He didn't need to know that I was only there one night, and definitely didn't need to know that I spent the entirety of the next one drowning my guilt. Massive hangovers make an eight am clock in time pretty impossible.