Chapter 33

Chapter 33

*Adam's POV*

The sound of the faint squeak of the door moving forced me to turn around and see who had walked through the door. Both Mom and Dad crowded the visitor as Josh slipped back out the front door. Their voices were hushed, but Mom's in particular had an extra level of sympathy.

Trinity glance between me mother and me. I was blocking the face of Lily, but parts of her body were still visible around my own. I rolled over groaning at the ache in my back that can only be formed by sleeping on the hard floor for an hour.

I moved to my knees and motioned for Trinity to take a spot on the floor next to me.

"I delayed her sedation a little bit until you could get here. You only have a few minutes left before she starts to wake up and we need to give her the medication, but she should be able to hear you."

I pushed off the floor and found a seat on the couch pressed against the far wall. Mom and Dad walked into their room to give mother and daughter some privacy, but I wasn't going to leave their Luna unprotected. At least that's what I told myself. In all honesty I couldn't stand the thought of having her out of my sight for even a few minutes.

I pulled out my phone and pretended to scroll through and click around on the screen of the dead phone. Through the otherwise silence it was easy to hear the words Trinity was whispering.

"We love you Lily. Please don't leave us." Her words were thick with tears, and I swallowed hard to push down my own. "You'd love your little sister. I know when you wake up she will learn a lot from you. Your dad misses you too. I hope you're not too angry at him. He loves you so much."

I stood up when I saw her paw twitch. I knocked on the front door to signal to the doctor that it was time. Trinity gripped onto the fur at her shoulder. "Lily?! Can you hear me? Is that you?" I pulled her shoulders back slightly, but her grip on the wolf only tightened.

"Cassidy!" At my shout the doctor rushed over and was quickly followed by Dad returning back into the living room. The large head swung backwards and a painful howl released from it. Trinity released her hands from the fur and covered her ears.

"Lily please!" She tried to shout over the wolf's howl. I looped my arms underneath her underarms and pulled her back across the floor. Her legs flailed and she screamed out again. The wolf started kicking its legs and Dr. Cassidy pushed the syringe into her back end.

The wolf's head dropped back and the howl turned in to low whimpers. Her eyes settled on Trinity, and she let out a low bark before her eyes fluttered closed again.

"That was her...that was my baby. You saw it! Why did you take her away again?" My arms were still hooked around her, and I tightened them slightly to prevent her attacking the doctor. The wind slammed against the windows and rain began to beat at the door.

Tears rushed down her face and I felt the moisture that had pooled on my arms become sharp and press into my skin. I released her and moved back holding on to my arm that now had a trickle of blood sliding down to my fingertips.

Trinity dropped fully onto her knees and crawled to her daughter again. She curled up against her stomach so she was enclosed in the wolf's legs. I sighed and made my way to the kitchen to clean up my arm.

*Josh's POV*

I walked into the spare house and went straight into the basement. In comparison with the Alpha's next door, this one was huge. It was easiest the largest built thus far in the subdivision. The first floor housed a large kitchen, living room, and dinning space with dark hardwood floors throughout. In addition to the common areas, the designated office space, master with bath, guest room, and an additional half bath. These rooms were a new plush carpet except for the bathrooms.

I set my room up in the master bedroom with Desmond on the same floor. An additional master bedroom was taken over by Cane while Irvin and Grady each took a spare room on the second floor and shared a full bathroom.

The basement wasn't finished so still only had concrete walls with two by fours posted out to give a frame to what would be new rooms. When the she-wolf was brought back we set up the basement area as a makeshift hospital space. When both Lily and the she-wolf shift into human form there would be room for them to move upstairs while they recover.

The she-wolf was small enough to set up on a mattress in the corner. As I walked down the stairs the cool air sent goosebumps up my arms. As soon as I had her back in my site, I felt myself relax a little. At the moment she received no guard other than me, and the doctor's priority was Lily.

Due to her size, Lily's sedation would ware off every hour to hour and a half. The she-wolf's sedation only wore off every two to three hours. I formed a small pallet beside her mattress with the comforters and pillows from my bedroom as well as a few pillows from the spare linens closet.

My alarm buzzed meaning the doctor should be walking in within the next few minutes to administer the next round of sedation. I sat cross legged on my pallet and reached out to touch her fur. Her leg twitched slightly at the contact, but otherwise she remained still. I stayed as still as possible letting the house settle so I could listen for the doctor. When I was sure I still had a few minutes alone, I slid onto the bed and wrapped my arms around the wolf. She was smaller than an average wolf, so I was able to fully wrap my arms around her.

I put my chin on top of her head guiding her snout to nuzzle against my chest. I sighed and closed my eyes. A small grumble forced me to move back slightly. The wolf's eyes were open and looking at me curiously.

"Hi..." My cheeks flushed at being caught hugging a she-wolf that didn't know me. Her head tilted slightly, and she whimpered. I swallowed hard and raised one of my hands to stroke the side of her face.

"I need you to shift if you can. That way you can tell me your name." She huffed and pressed her paw into my stomach. Her claws poked into my skin just enough to cause discomfort. "My name is Josh. I think I might be your mate and I know that will be confusing since the doctor said you had a baby recently. I understand you might already be happy. I hope you are, but I need you to be...you so I can be your friend if you're okay with that."

The door upstairs shut, and footsteps echoed from the floor above our heads. I sighed and untangled my arms from her so I could move off the mattress before Dr. Cassidy returned. The she-wolf whimpered louder and moved to crawl closer to me. My heart thumped harder in my chest, and I held my breath while she rubbed her face against my chest.

"Josh what's happening?" Dr. Cassidy jogged over to the mattress and looked at me with a mix of worry and disapproving. He was a slightly older and round man so the short jog from the steps to the corner left him out of breath and flushed. "You don't...know...what side she's on." He forced out his words in between heavy breaths as he dug in his bag for another syringe of sedation.

The she-wolf looked up at him and growled baring her teeth.

"Give her just a minute. I think she's trying." He stepped back and put his hands up in defeat.

She huffed and whined while rolling onto her stomach. I slid off the mattress except my elbows. Gradually the wolf's snout began to shrink back into her face while her limbs that had a bend at the joint straightened into arms and long legs. The fur disappeared and with a final bark she dropped onto the bed and rolled onto her back.

Her hands immediately moved to her stomach, and she choked out a cry. Her cheeks were already wet with tears when she turned her head to make eye contact with me.

"S-Sam"

I let out a sigh of relief and put my hand on her shoulder for a second before the doctor pushed me back.

She closed her eyes and turned her head back groaning loudly in pain.