Chapter 36

Chapter 36

She locked eyes with me, and her gaze softened slightly. I twisted my face in an expression that I hoped would remind her that I was going to try and protect her no matter what. I wasn't sure if the expression truly said that because I felt sick to my stomach waiting for her answer.

I couldn't fathom the thought that this girl finally sent to me by the goddess could have played a role in the pain of my best friend.

"I never thought he was someone that would do that. How can you believe the person who is supposed to be your everything is a monster? That thought doesn't cross your mind. He convinced me that we were the future of the pack. I had to be kept secret because people would try to eliminate me and our family. I wasn't even allowed to leave the house."

Janey stood up as if to be a shield from any more questions. "I think that is enough."

Alpha moved his hand from my shoulder to hold it up in the air. "We will have people that are coming to ask a lot tougher questions than this. I need to know whose side she is on."

Sam reached up and pulled on Janey's hand until she sat back down. "I need to know where your child is."

The midwife's face flushed crimson and this time she was the one to bare her teeth. I could smell the fox as she neared to a shift. I would say a wolf to a fox would be an unfair fight, but she didn't look like she cared. She knew that Luna had the child just one house over and was still questioning Sam.

The sadness that washed over me was so intense it made my chest feel tight. "I don't know where he is. I got him away from that man. I pray that wherever he is he is safe and will know I gave him up for a better life. He is an innocent who doesn't deserve to be a prisoner."

"If you knew nothing of the girl being held captive then how did you know the child needed to be taken away?"

"Weren't you listening? I was a prisoner in my own home. I was never allowed to shift or even take a walk in the yard. Then he started getting angrier. When he started talking about moving again, I knew I was being lied to. If we were truly the future of the pack, we wouldn't be moving away."

"And if you could have your child back?"

Her breath caught in her throat and her mouth opened in a small o with no words coming out. After a minute she was able to regain her speech.

"What do you know about my son?"

*Adam's POV*

Once the doctor came back to administer the most recent dose of sedation, he didn't leave the house again. Mom insisted he go to a bedroom to get some rest, but he refused. After about an hour of relentless insistence from her, he conceded to stretch out on the couch. The old man looked like he was about to kill over. Within seconds of his head hitting the pillow, his snores filled the room.

I sent Everleigh home with the promise that we would make no further efforts until she returned that evening with Leo. Luckily, she was able to ride in the car with Harmony and Cane so I didn't have to pull Josh away from the she-wolf. She gave me a tense smile before she left leaving me alone with Lily.

I moved to the floor sitting with my legs crossed. The spot was still warm from where her mother had remained unmoving for hours. I timed my breathing with hers to relieve the anxiety that bubbled in my stomach. I put my hands on her body and closed my eyes pushing every ounce of love that I had into her body.

I imagined our life together after she came back to me. We were able to communicate once. Maybe if I focused hard enough, she could see it.

*Lily's POV*