Chapter 35

Chapter 35

*Josh's POV*

The old man climbed up the stairs. He gripped his hand against the railing then would heave himself up to the next step. The whole process seemed to take ages, and by the time he reached the top he was huffing and out of breath again.

Every time he was out of my site then returned it was as if he aged two years. The man wasn't all that young to begin with, but he wasn't old either. He was probably in his late 50s with wrinkles just starting to form around his eyes and mouth. I imagine going up and down stairs in addition to walking across the yards over a dozen times in the last 24 hours was probably leaving him fatigued and feeling every year of his age. The more fatigue that he showed the more frustrated I became.

At the top of the stairs, he doubled over pressing his hands to his knees while his back heaved up and down with each breath. Alpha grabbed the man's arm and gently guided him to one of the few chairs in the living room. Dr. Cassidy collapsed backwards making the plush recliner groan. Before he spoke, he pulled a stained handkerchief from his front pocket and wiped away the sweat that was crawling down his forehead.

"Henry. That's the father of Rory."

My stomach twisted and I turned around so they wouldn't be able to see the pain in my face. Not only did she have a mate, but it was the one person that both Adam and I despised more than anyone. The boy that Luna was coddling, and kissing was the next descendant in this line of lunatics.

"Do we know anything further?"

The chair creaked again as he repositioned himself. "The midwife said they were trying to get the baby away from him. She said that neither of them knew what was happening just that he wasn't right, and the girl was afraid. They are waking her up now to do the exam."

Alpha moved to the other side of the living room and peered out the back window. Wolves were running out of the trees intermittently as they returned from the campaign. Some were running straight to their homes while others howled and sparred in random back yards.

"Once she is able to answer some questions, we'll get some more answers. For now, her health is priority."

We all remained silent. Nobody knew how to move or really where to look. A knock on the door made us all jump.

I moved to open the door, but Rowland stepped in before I was halfway there. He plopped down on the couch opposite Dr. Cassidy and sprawled out propping his leg up. His muddy boots hung off the end careful not to make contact with the new sofa.

Alpha glanced back at him rolling his eyes. If I was honest the man reminded me more of Noah than Jameson. If it wasn't for the blond hair and striking similarity in facial features that only being kin could explain I wouldn't believe him to be the father. Jameson always had a slightly serious air about him bordering paranoia. He was so consumed with the security of his status that he seemed like he was trying too hard.

Rowland, on the other hand, was relaxed and had no concerns about who the Alpha was spending time with unless it became a threat to the pack. Maybe that was something that would just come with age. It could also have appeared as a result of my sudden welcome to the pack.

"Status update?"

"We buried the wolves. No IDs of any kind on the property that we could find. It's possible they were on them when they shifted which is of no use to us. Either way they were unidentifiable except for one. Henry was eliminated. I was able to recognize his wolf."

Alpha nodded but didn't move from the window. "And the cops?"

"Will come to get a statement from the girl once she is able. The case is otherwise closed."