Chapter 34

Chapter 34

*Josh's POV*

Dr. Cassidy pressed the sedation into her arm and within a minute her body relaxed again. Her arms fell against the mattress. The only sign of discomfort was her breathing that came slightly irregular. As soon as she was still, he began to work.

He started with an IV that he hung on a coat tree we found upstairs. Once the fluids started dripping through the line, he pushed a syringe of pain medicine. While the pain medicine began to take effect, I watched as he performed a more through exam. His eyebrows knitted together the further into his exam he got.

"I need Luna. Please bring her immediately. Have her bring a change of clothes." I got off the floor and ran at full speed to grab Luna.

I didn't bother knocking because I knew someone would be in the living room. Sure, enough Adam was sitting on the couch with his arms crossed. He glanced up at me, but then immediately looked back at Lily. Trinity had burrowed herself in the wolf's fur and was almost invisible amongst the fur and legs.

"Where's your mom? The doctor said we need her." I shifted my weight impatiently.

"She went to put the baby down. She'll be back in a second?"

"How long has she been gone? I need her to come over quickly, and with a set of clothes." At this Adam stood up so his face was now inches from mine. He made sure to keep his voice low enough that Trinity could not hear.

"Has she shifted?" I nodded and looked around him to the hallway where Trinity would be coming from. "Has she said anything about what happened?"

"No, she just told us her name. She was in too much pain and had to be sedated again so that he could help her. I really need the Luna." The request came out as more of a demand than I meant it, but I didn't have time to play twenty questions.

Before he could ask me any more questions, she stepped out of the baby room. I rushed over to her and gripped her hand.

"Dr. Cassidy has sent for you. Sam woke up and was able to shift back. We need another pair of clothes. She's in pain. We sedated her again." I stumbled over the words saying them as quickly as I could. I was pretty sure I flipped some of them around, but it was clear enough for her to turn around and grab the first pair of pants and shirt she could find out of the dryer.

She held the clothes close to her body as we made our way back to the door.

"I'm coming too."

"Then come on." I didn't have time to argue and just walked out the door ushering Luna along with me. If I thought, it was acceptable I would have picked her up and carried her to Sam. Her legs were excruciatingly short making our walk across the two yards take twice as long.

Dr. Cassidy met us at the front door. He allowed Luna in but stopped us from coming inside.

"Give us some time and we'll come get you. The girl is covered in blood and needs new clothes." We both stepped back understanding that it wouldn't be appropriate for us to be down there as Luna changed Sam's clothes.

Adam leaned on the porch railing and looked up at the house. The light blue paint with red trim gave it the feel of something out of a story book. Even the door was painted a bright red and illuminated by a porch light on either side. White paint that still smelled fresh covered the porch and railing.

"You know this is supposed to be my house." It wasn't a question, but a statement. Since there wasn't a question, I didn't respond. I just crossed my arms and paced from one end of the porch to the other. "Mom and Dad's house was built small because they knew they wouldn't be having any other children. This is supposed to be mine...mine and Lily's. I didn't know it would be Lily of course when we started building." He sighed and looked down at his feet.