Chapter 7

He took a deep breath and continued, "Well I spoke with my father. Ultimately because of his situation legally we can not throw him out of the pack until his eighteenth birthday in three months. For now, we just have to keep a close eye on him and stay vigilant. The day after his eighteenth birthday he will be asked to leave."

"What do you mean by 'his situation?"

"Well Henry doesn't have a family. When the former alpha was killed Dad was a child. For years, the pack split apart and dwindled down. A few of its members even went unintentionally rouge because there was no alpha to demand they shift back.

'My dad was a member of another pack before his father got sick and died. The new alpha that took over did not want any competition, so he forced him out, but Dad happened across this pack of in the middle of a pack and rouges just looking for a leader. On his eighteenth birthday he stepped up and took over along with my mom. Once the word spread that the pack was reforming some of the members began to trickle back. One of those was Henry's mom. He was just a baby when they came back, and they were both deemed to have good intentions and allowed to rejoin. About eight years after they arrived, his mother left. No note or any word on when she would be back. By our records she has not came back.

'Henry bounced around between families within the pack until fifteen when he was granted his own home on the property. He was never required to fend for himself and was always provided for, but I imagine it was lonely. The pack is his caregiver and we can't just push a minor into the woods and say good luck."

I nodded and felt my eyes sting. Sure, I hated what he was doing, but if he truly believed that I was the product of his dad's stolen mate and he had been through that, I could understand the hatred.

A loud horn honked making us both laugh a little before Adam turned over the ignition. The truck came to life, but we remained quiet until we pulled into the parking lot of Red Robin.

We piled into the small waiting area of the restaurant. Jameson and Noah kept pushing each other back and forth almost falling over the chairs shaped like giant hamburgers while Adam went up to the hostess to request a table. I leaned closer to Zoey and Riley to whisper, "Are they always like this?"

They both nodded but Riley was the first to speak. "Unfortunately. You should see when Adam also gets in there. Right now, he's trying to act all mature for you." I could not help but laugh and glance at him trying to calm the two down. He waved me over as we were guided to a table. Adam helped the hostess push three small tables together under the multicolored yum sign.

Within thirty minutes we all had drinks, burgers, fries, and backup fries. It was crazy to feel so at home and peace with a group of people. I loved Harmony and I loved my pack, but I always felt like an outcast. Nobody in my pack except for Harmony and Josh knew my relationship with the elements. It was necessary for our protection, but these guys all knew. It was not a secret and I did not have to hide anything or control all of my emotions. I wondered if Josh would move packs with me.

Adam's hand sat on my knee. I smiled over at him and he moved his thumb back and forward on my knee sending small electric shocks up my leg.

He leaned over close to my ear and whispered, "You ready?"

I nodded and suppressed a yawn. It was close to curfew anyway. He handed money over to Noah for our food and helped me to my feet. I hugged Zoe and Riley bye then waved at the boys before we walked out to the truck. He helped me in and then jogged around to his side. After starting the truck, he immediately took my hand in hand causing warmth to crawl up my arm.

"So, what did you think of my pack? I know today has probably been overwhelming."

"I loved them. I've never felt so at home with a group of people."

"I'm glad. As Luna they will be our inner circle."

"Very diverse circle you have there." He smiled over at my and squeezed my hand. "Do you think there would be a possibility to add another person to our circle?" I saw his eyebrows knitted together. "When everything becomes official, I would like to ask Josh to come to our pack as my personal protector."

"Lils I think that is a great idea, but it would depend on if he wanted that. If it would be a step down in rank for him it is possible, he would decline. I just don't want you to get your hopes up."

"Technically his father is in line to become beta to my brother, but he knows he isn't who my brother wants. My brother has some fear that I would use Josh to overthrow him so I could take control of the pack. He has another pick that he does not know we are aware of. He plans to overthrow Josh after he is made alpha. It might be more of a saving grace for him."

"And Harmony? Wouldn't she feel left out if she wasn't welcomed in as well?"

This time it was my turn to shrug. "I think she is comfortable where she is. I cannot imagine her leaving everything for me. We are best friends, but she has other friends and a place within the pack."

"Just know any of your friends will be welcome as long as your father agrees."

He flipped the headlights off as we neared the driveway and pulled in narrowly avoiding the mailbox.

"Thank you for letting me take you out tonight." He moved his other hand away from the steering wheel and gently touched his fingertips against my cheek. My breath caught in my throat. I closed my eyes and leaned my head towards his hand. His fingers moved from my cheek to trap a small curl. He twisted the curl between his fingers for a few seconds before sliding his hand into my hair at the nape of my neck. I could not help but completely melt and lean into his warm breath washing across my face. I could almost taste him as I parted my lips.

I felt his warm lips press against mine as heat rushed through my whole body. I twisted my fingers into his hair and pulled him even closer. His lips were so soft and warm. All too soon he pulled away and smiled at me. I leaned my forehead against his and tried to catch my breath. The kiss was only a few seconds but it as soon as he moved closer to me, I forgot how to breath. I could not get any air in my lungs, but I loved it.

"We better get you inside before your dad comes out." I laughed and nodded reaching for the door handle. "Don't you dare Lilly!" He threw his door open and sprinted around the truck and opened the door. He bowed down and lifted his hand out for me to take. I placed my hand in his and hopped out of the truck. He walked me to the door and gently kissed me on the cheek before opening the door to let me inside.

"I'll see you Monday at school?"

"Of course. I can't wait." I closed the door and stood there until I heard his truck drive off.

I rushed up the stairs into my bedroom before I could be intercepted by any parents and locked the door. I knew my flushed face would give everything away and I just was not ready for the twenty questions yet.

So much had happened to Henry, but where does his story collide with mine? If he was truly a child of the former alpha, then he would be quite a few years older than any of us kids so that just was not possible. I wondered if his mother was the true descendant and was not able to carry out her mission. If he was isolated, I guess it would make sense he could have a distorted timeline.

I had to throw my phone on the charger and get ready for bed. The more I thought about it the more stressed I became. I only wanted to focus on the kiss that just happened. Nothing could compare to that moment.

I closed my eyes imagining he was there with me.