Can anyone join this party?

One Year Ago

One Year Ago

I should have noticed the red flags in the malicious smirks of the mean bitches' clique when I started looking around for Keaton. When I asked if they'd seen him, their gleeful answers that he's somewhere with Rianna were another warning I should have heeded.

But why would I?

They've spent our entire four years of college trying to be cool by being the biggest bitches they could be. I chalked this up to just another of those times.

"Come on, Char. Let's go find him," Amelia yells, grabbing my hand and pulling me away from them.

She's been my best friend long enough to spot the signs of my impending rage. Even nice people have a breaking point and I'm about at it with these girls.

We fight our way through the gyrating bodies and the many drunken staggers. The floor vibrates from the bass of the music, tempting me to join in and let loose, but Amelia drags me behind her before I get the chance to give in. They have replaced normal lightbulbs throughout the house with black lights that turn everything into a trippy neon glow.

As we pass the game room, the sweet skunk smell of marijuana teases my nostrils. Another temptation I don't get the chance to indulge in.

What the hell?

"Hey." I yank my hand, pulling us to a stop. "You said I'm supposed to be letting loose and having fun. Why do you keep pulling me away from all the good shit?"

"So we can find your boy."

I roll my eyes. "You heard them. He's with Rianna. Like always. He knows I'm here because I sent him a text as soon as we walked up. Keaton will find me when his damn friend takes her claws out of him."

Shit. Even I can hear the bitterness in my voice.

Rianna has been an issue between us since they become friends our sophomore year here. I didn't have any problem with it at first. Those didn't start until about six months into their friendship, when I realized she had feelings for Keaton. I brought it up to him, but he brushed it off, telling me he's sure I was imagining it. That crap pissed me off, and I wasn't afraid to let him know it. He apologized and since I could tell he was actually sorry for what he said; I let it be. It wasn't long after that the bitch started her biting remarks that she played off as jokes. Saying I'm insecure, that I'm jealous of the friendship they shared because I just couldn't see a male and female being platonic friends. The one that really got me angry is when she would 'joke' about her being in love with him, which let me know Keaton told her what I said. Things became tense between me and him for a few weeks after that. I knew it was killing him as much as it was me, but he's the one that put us in that position to begin with. Then one morning, he rolled over in bed and held me to him while apologizing and promised to fix it.

To give him credit, he did. Or at least he tried.

He wouldn't hang out with Rianna as much, and their conversations became less frequent. We were good again. We were the Charlie and Keaton that we used to be and our relationship only got stronger.