Friendships, Feelings, and Fucking Triggers

Five Months Ago

Five Months Ago

Over the last month, my relationship with Alek has changed. The sexual side of it is less important to us, but we still care about each other just as much as friends now, as we did in the beginning.

Friendships, like all relationships, are fragile. And while I don't think it's likely that we'd ever get into relationships where we will have to lose touch entirely if we remain friends—I certainly hope not; he's been a big part in my healing process—I'm realistic about the fact that some people won't be comfortable with their partners staying in touch with someone they've had sexual relations with. So this may end up being something we'll have to address down the road because I respect and care about Alek too much to ever get in the way of his happiness. If the woman he gets with is uncomfortable with our friendship, then I'll step away or do my best to bring her into my fold and make friends with her so that she'll know I'll never be a threat to her.

It's the least I owe him after the way he's been there for me and helped me on my healing journey.

My head jerks back when something stings my face and my thoughts dissipate at the mixture of laughter from my two best friends.

"What the hell?" I mutter, glancing down at the Skittle that sits perfectly in the middle of my cleavage.

"Oh, hey. Let me grab that for you," Alek teases, reaching down to pluck it out.

"Perv. You just wanted to cop a feel," I sass.

"Obviously," he smirks, tossing it into his mouth.

Amelia interrupts us. "You were lost in space, so I'm guessing you didn't hear us."

I grimace, leaning up off Alek's chest. "Sorry. What did I miss?"

"We were talking about going to the bar tonight," she says. "Alek said David invited him and told him we better be bringing our asses with him."

She rolls her eyes, but I'm not stupid. I know she wants to see him as much as he wants to see her, despite the way her lip curls in a snarl when she says his name. Amelia doesn't really talk much about what's going on between them, but I know they're sleeping together. Sometimes she'll get this far-off look on her face and the pain in it makes me angry at him. Unfortunately, unless she talks to me about what's going on, I have no fucking clue what I'm angry at him about other than putting that look on her.

I shrug. "Sure. It's not like we were going to do anything tonight but watch movies and order in."

Alek makes a noise that has me turning toward him. The way he's rubbing the back of his neck and peering at me with a blank face tells me there's something he's debating on.

Sighing, I lean away and fold my arms across my chest. "Spit it out, Alek."

He blows out a breath. "Fuck. Okay. So, Keaton is going to be there with his friend Brock. He's going through shit too, and Keaton is trying to help him."