I'm Safe, You're Not

Six Months Ago

Six Months Ago

It took me a couple of days to decide which was the right move for Charlie's mental health and healing regarding the video Rihanna fucking sent to me. The last thing I want to do is set her back any in the progress she's made toward healing, but I also know this is something I can't take away or keep from her.

Still wanting to respect Charlie's wishes of no contact, I decide to reach out to Alek a few days later. I have confidence that he'll get the information to Charlie, and then he can let me know where to go from here.

Grabbing a bottle of water from the Fridge, I head out to the deck so the fresh air can help keep me grounded. I take a seat in the choir and kick my bare tatted feet up on the banister before I scroll to Alek's contact and hit the call icon.

The one thing that has always fascinated me about Granite Bay is how big of a city it is, yet on nights like tonight, the sky is so clear the stars glimmer brightly.

It was always my favorite place to be with Charlie - under the stars.

Sometimes, we were in a naked, passionate embrace, but most of the time, we were just...together.

It's where we'd make all our plans for the future. Where I learned all her secrets, and she learned all of mine. Under the star speckled sky is where I learned the places that made her sigh, the ones that made her beg, and the ones that made her cry as she found her release.

It's where I told her I loved her for the first time and where I admitted I wanted to put babies in her belly and give her my last name.

But it's also where I destroyed our love and broke all of our promises.

"What's up, Keaton?" Alek answers.

My teeth clench along with my fist when I hear his voice because it brings back the images on the video. The muscles in my neck tighten as I fight to shove my anger away, because it's not needed right now. Hell, I don't even have the damn right to get angry.

"Keaton? You there, man?"

Closing my eyes, I inhale a deep breath and blow it out, extinguishing my anger along with it. "Yeah, sorry." I clear my throat. "You busy?"

A door clicks shut in the background, and then a chair squeaks as he takes his seat again. "I got a few minutes. What can I do for you?"

I can hear the leeriness in his voice and, hell, I can't blame him. Charlie is his best friend and the woman he is currently seeing. Right now, she's really the only thing we have in common. My friendship with David has grown some, but even with Alek being his best friend, we don't really hang out together.

"A few nights ago, Rihanna, at least I'm assuming it was her, sent me a video."

"Okay?"

"It was of you and Charlie in your apartment, and you all were being explicitly intimate."