It Was Supposed To Be You

Five Months Ago

Five Months Ago

A week after my meetup with Keaton at the bar I'm left staring at my calendar in absolute horror.

My fingers are quick and agile as I flip through the back months, trying to find the last time I marked it off my calendar.

Air saws in and out of my lungs as my breathing turns quick and shallow, my fingers fluttering against the pages as I turn them.

"No, no, no," I mumble, the sheets blurring as water fills them.

I don't spot the red circle in any of the months after Keaton cheated on me, and especially nothing after the condom broke with Alek last month.

This can't be happening.

My luck can't be that bad, surely.

Trying to banish the theories fighting for dominance in my head, I roll my head on my shoulders, working to loosen the tension in them but failing to accomplish it.

I pull in a shuddering breath and straighten my posture.

Crying and panicking won't get me anywhere.

A missed period will not break me. If the love of my life didn't, then getting pregnant by someone other than him won't either.

With a quick intake of breath, I shove my feelings down so the practical side of my brain can go to work.

I head into the living room and grab my phone from the charger. The first thing I do is check the calendar to ensure I didn't put it there instead, but only find a blank space on each date.

My shoulders tighten as more weight settles on them.

I pull up Amelia's contact and hit the phone icon to put the call through.

"Yo, bootylicious baby! What's the spice?"

Some of the weight on my shoulders drops off at her ridiculousness. "God, I fucking love you."

My words come out in a sob and I can feel Amelia's alertness come across the line. It's corroding my insides-this deathly toxin that's running through my veins at the thought of being pregnant by Alek.

"Who...the...fuck...am I slicing and dicing today, baby?" she growls.

"I missed my period," I whisper.

"Oh, fuck someone in the ass," Amelia whispers back.

"Would have been safer," I say with a watery laugh.