Hero

It's been a month since their last interaction, and it was hell for Irene. Messages and calls were made but still, Serene chose not to answer her Mom. She was so busy that she forgets to eat and take care of herself. Imee didn't notice this because she was busy in Ilocos and Serene was left in Manila.

She was currently doing her paper works in her condo when someone ranged her doorbell. She went to her door and checked the peephole. She was surprised to see her Mom waiting patiently to open her door. It was currently 1:30 pm and it was scorching hot outside.

"How the hell did she know that I'm here?" Serene said to herself. She sighed and opened the door.

"How may I help you, Ma'am?" She said. Irene was startled by what Serene called her.

"A-anak. Y-your Tita Imee told me to check on you. I b-brought your food." Irene smiled. Serene just looked at her and opened the door widely. 

"Please come in." 

"T-thank you anak," Irene said as she entered her daughter's condo. She was surprised by clean her condo is. 

"Pakibaba nalang po dito." Serene said. It was very awkward to be with her Mom in one place.

Irene looked at her daughter's kitchen and that's where the mess starts. Coffee mugs are everywhere. Takeouts everywhere. She sighed. She glanced at her daughter's room and saw it was also messy.

"Kumain na po ba kayo?" Serene asked. Irene nodded as she fix her daughter's food.

"Kumain ka na, anak. Would you mind if I'll clean your condo muna? It'll help you focus better to have a clean surrounding, mahal ko." Irene said. Serene looked at her.

"Are you sure, miss? You are my guest." Serene said. It stabbed Irene's heart. She feels like her daughter is really angry at her.

"Yes anak. Sige na, kain ka na ha? Pumayat ka na oh." Irene said. She waited for Serene to start eating before starting to clean. 

Serene was savoring every bite as she missed her Mom's cooking and she missed a home-cooked meal. 

Irene started with her daughter's room. She cleaned the room by vacuuming and mopping. She did not touch any papers or things instead she left them where it is. When she finished she cleaned her daughter's kitchen. Seeing her daughter enjoys her cooking makes her so happy.

"Nak, after eating iwan mo nalang sa sink yung ginamit mo ha? I'll clean your living room."

"No. It's ok. Ako na po bahala dito. You've cleaned my room and my kitchen. I can clean my sala na po." 

"Are you sure?" Irene said as she drinks water. Serene nodded. 

"I-i baked some banana bread the other day po, do you want to try it? For snacks po, I'll make some coffee din po kasi.

"Sure mahal ko! I missed your baking." Irene smiled. Serene stood up and prepared their snacks. 

For once, Serene felt safe. She finds it weird but for her every time her Mom is around her, she feels safe.

"This is so good! I missed this." Irene complimented her daughter.

"And your coffee is still the best." Serene smiled.

"Thank you. Thank you for checking up on me also." Serene said. Irene smiled and stood up. She took the opportunity to hug her daughter.

"I love you, Serenity. Mommy loves you so much." Irene hugged her tight. Serene didn't hug her back. 

As Irene broke the hug, she looked at her watch. It was already 6:30 pm.

"Naku, late na pala. May gagawin ka pa ata." Irene said.