Chapter Twenty-Two: Rumors And Tylenol Bottles

Eddie POV
"Yeah, Veronica is totally fucking Steve Harrington. I heard Tiffany Frasier talking to Chance Turner about how he invited her to Russell and Stacy's party on Friday night." I heard some bucked toothed bitch say as I walked with Gareth in the lunch line. I had been overhearing these stupid fucking rumors all day. I wish Roni's stupid friends would learn to keep their fucking business to themselves.

"Wait...I thought Steve was fucking with that senior band nerd...Rachel, right?"

"No...I think her name was Riley. I don't know, it's something like that."

It's Robin, you ugly fuck.

Jesus Christ, I felt like throwing up. I was so tense.

I paid for a bag of chips and walked to the Hellfire lunch table, watching the doors for Veronica and Chrissy to make their usual entrance.

I wanted to talk to her...scream at her about shutting these rumors down. I was jealous...everybody in this cafeteria thinks Veronica Ferguson is fucking Steve Harrington, when in reality, it's me! She fucked the freak!! Surprise!!

Finally, the cafeteria doors opened to reveal Veronica and Chrissy, both in their usual cheer uniforms. Instead of a smile, both of their faces were worried as their eyes immediately darted to mine.

I raised my eyebrows and pressed my lips together before looking away, shaking my head and laughing to myself. I felt psychotic, like I was about to break.

I looked back up at Veronica just as her and Chrissy passed my table. I noticed they sat down and immediately began talking, their eyes darting back and forth towards my table.

Could she fucking eat something? She never fucking ate.

I clenched my jaw and looked at my bag of chips, imagining a world where I could walk up and give these to her. A world where Steve Harrington's name would be replaced with mine...

"Eddie." I heard Dustin say frantically as him and Mike sat down.

I already knew he was going to mention the fucking rumor.

"Save it, Henderson. I already heard. It's not true, yada yada- shut the fuck up!" I yelled slightly, snapping at him.

"I didn't- okay." He replied with an annoyed tone in his voice, putting his hands up in defense. Everyone at our table looked over at me awkwardly, chewing their food slowly.

I felt bad for snapping at Dustin, but I felt like a teenage girl on her period. So many emotions were rushing through my body at once...anger, sadness, guilt. I wanted it to slow down, I couldn't take it anymore.

I felt like crying.

"Eddie, can I...respectfully give you my opinion?" Gareth spoke up, causing my head to snap over to him. His face was nervous, like he was scared to tell me what he had to say.

We stared at each other in silence for a moment.

"Open your mouth and move it, Gareth." I told him, annoyance in my voice.

"Oh, yeah...well, i've been thinking...what if Veronica isn't the best person for you?" He got out, his voice extremely hesitant. He refused to make eye contact, nervous for how i'd react.

I clenched my jaw a bit, but tried to stay calm.

"What are you getting at, Gareth? Such a big accusation, yet you can't make eye contact with me when you say it?" I asked dryly, talking with my hands and looking around at everyone at the table.

"Just let me finish, Eddie." He snapped, causing me to calm down and look at him. "All of us have noticed that you're...well... different. You're more quiet at lunch and during classes, you always act as if she is watching you and you're trying to make a good impression...but yet she treats you like shit. You seem miserable all the time." He admitted, the words hitting me like fire.