Chapter Thirty-Six: The Black Gate

Veronica POV

"I told you it was this way! I literally made this place! I know where the fuck I'm going." We heard Steve's voice say. Eddie and I both went wide eyed, immediately jumping up to finally go see them.

"Well, well. Look who finally decided to show up." Eddie said, exhaling and raising his eyebrows at the group. I rolled my eyes at his actions, giving the group a small wave.

"Oh my god, Veronica! Thank god you're okay!" Robin said, running up to me and squeezing me in a tight hug. I gave her a fake smile as I wrapped my arms around her, my heart beating out of my chest as I remembered the whole being cursed thing.

Telling them was really going to fucking suck. I'll do it eventually...just not now. I don't want to ruin the mood.

Once Robin finally let go, I took a big deep breath, air finally being able to reach my lungs.

"We brought food!" Dustin exclaimed with a smile, holding up a grocery bag filled with snacks. Eddie immediately grabbed it and ruffled up Dustin's hair through his hat, smiling as he dug through the bag and threw me a bag of chips.

I immediately opened the bag, my stomach grumbling just from the smell.

"You brought us chips and bread?" Eddie spoke, looking over at Dustin with furrowed eyebrows.

"They were on sale." Dustin replied, pursing his lips. Eddie shook his head and pat Dustin on the shoulder, opening the bag back up and taking out the bread.

"Okay...Dorito sandwiches it is." Eddie laughed, looking over at me with a smile. I was already eating the chips though, I was fucking starving.

As Eddie came over to me and started putting chips onto a slice of bread, we both sat down and he began explaining to the group about how our walkie got soaked, we had no idea where the fuck we were going, and the entire Jason/Patrick situation...all of it in great detail.

Reliving that whole lake moment sucked more than being there in the first place. When I was there. I was in my own head...only had my own perspective. But with Eddie explaining his side, what he saw...felt. Fuck, it was messing with my head.

A flashback of Patrick floating up and snapping popped back into my head. I cringed, knowing that if I didn't tell everybody what happened, that it was going to be me in a few hours. Fuck.

"Do you know what time Patrick, um..." Nancy began, looking over at me sympathetically. "died?"

"Yeah, no, for sure. My watch is all fucked up and soaked too." Eddie said in frustration, quickly taking off his watch and throwing it at Steve.

"Hey-" Steve said, catching the watch in his chest and glaring slightly at Eddie.

Not gonna lie, I had to hide my laughter.

Nancy rolled her eyes and snatched the watch from Steve, looking at the time before shaking her head and looking over at Robin.

"9:27."

"That's the time our flashlights went all crazy." Robin added, looking over at Eddie and I.

"And this matters because...?" Steve asked, crossing his arms and looking over at Nancy.

"Steve where have you been? You know what happens when the demogorgans, demodogs, or anything upside down related happens. The lights. They freak out." Dustin explained, Steve nodding.

"So you're saying the reason our flashlights went out is because of Vecna's attack on Patrick?" Steve asked, Nancy nodding.

"Well, we're one step closer. We know how Vecna attacks." Robin spoke, Dustin putting his hands on his head and beginning to pace around.