Chapter Thirty-Two: Near-Death Experiences And Judas Priest

Veronica POV

I sat upstairs in the room by myself, listening to the loud echoes of Eddie and Dustin play fighting downstairs. We had been waiting forever to hear from Nancy and Robin...but there was still no word.

I lit the cigarette that I held between my lips and slowly took a drag, the feeling of the nicotine calming my nerves a bit. It didn't last, it never did. Especially not now.

I laid back and took another hit, relaxing as the smooth smoke entered my lungs. I exhaled, just as a knock was heard at the door.

Ugh.

I stood up walked over to the door, opening it to reveal Max. I was kind of confused...what did she need me for?

"Hey. What's up?" I asked, Max immediately walking past me and standing in front of the bed. I narrowed my eyes at her, kind of annoyed by her sudden barging.

Well shit. Yeah, I guess you can come in.

I shut the door and looked over at her, a bit worried by the expression on her face. She looked freaked out almost...very tense. I began to think the worst. Did she have any visions again? Was it this Vecna guy?

"I started my period. Do you have anything?" She asked, a sigh of relief coming out of me. I set my cigarette on the ashtray next to the bed then looked at her while shaking my head.

"Holy shit, Max, you scared me." I began, her giving me a 'hurry up' look. "I didn't bring anything, but I'm sure Steve's mom has something in here." I assured her, walking into the bathroom that connected to Steve's parents room.

Max quickly followed after me, rummaging through some of the drawers as I looked around in the cabinets. My eyes brightened as I found a box of tampons, causing me to quickly grab them and throw them onto the counter.

"Boo ya." I said dramatically, Max snorting humorously at my stupid comment. I smiled. That's the first time I've heard her laugh since I'd met her.

Max grabbed one out of the box and walked into the separate part of the bathroom, shutting the door and letting out a slow sigh.

"This shit sucks...getting my period on the day before I fucking die." She spoke, causing me to speak up quickly.

"Hey, don't say that. You're not dying tomorrow. I'm sure of that." I told her sternly, sitting on the bathroom counter and waiting for her.

She went silent for a moment before speaking again.

"You don't know that, Veronica." She spoke, her voice shaky.

I sighed, playing with my fingers.

"No, but I do know you have a bunch of people who are going to do anything to protect you. I mean, look at Steve, Lucas...me and Eddie. We're not gonna let you go down without a fight." I assured her, looking at the bathroom door as if we could see each other.

I barely knew this girl...but i'd do anything to help her. I knew she didn't deserve any of this shit that was coming her way...no way I was going to sit back and watch it happen. I was going to do everything I could to help her and there's no going back with that.

After a moment of silence, I heard the toilet flush and Max walked out. She gave me a slight smile before washing her hands and splashing some water onto her face.

"It just doesn't feel real, you know? Knowing that...this could happen so soon. I have so much I want to do, see, become..." she admitted, wiping her face with her sleeve and looking over at me. She wouldn't make eye contact, as if she was embarrassed with what she was admitting to me.