Chapter 10

Doubts and insecurities instantly filled Wanda's head the moment she read the message. She must had read it thrice or more just to convince herself that she might have misinterpreted the meaning, the intention behind it. But after doing such, even when the words appeared dull the more she repeated, it would only result to the same comprehension.

That Carol had your number. And she was asking you out on a date.

When Wanda heard the shower turn off from the bathroom, she immediately diverted her attention back to the food she was preparing. But her mind stayed at the thought.

No. You wouldn't do that to her. You and Wanda were no longer faking it. This was a real relationship. The sweet beautiful hopeless romantic Y/n she knew wouldn't do this. You wouldn't cheat on her.

But what if it was all still a game to you? Maybe Jarvis was right. It would only be sooner until you'd realize that Wanda was not the person you'd want to spend your life with. Wanda would likely lose you to someone younger. Like Carol. Stupid, oblivious Carol. Didn't she know you were already taken?

A part of Wanda warned herself that it would take two to tango. So you could just be lying to Carol that you weren't in a serious relationship.

But why? Did the past few weeks never meant anything to you? Had you grown tired of Wanda? Had she been too much clingy that she couldn't even bear to go back to her own apartment?

The ride to school was full of tension. Wanda didn't mean to give you a cold shoulder during breakfast or avoid your attempt to make out in the kitchen, her reasoning it out as she didn't want you to be late for class. But she knew you knew something was up.

Wanda couldn't even look at you straight in the eye, without visioning you with Carol. Kissing her. Doing things with her that you had done with Wanda.

The traffic light turned red, and the seconds of waiting seemed like hours. Wanda's grip on the steering wheel only tightened and it appeared like she was holding her breath. She couldn't lose you to Carol. Wanda just had you. She didn't even realize her hand was trembling.

When your hand went to cover hers and gave it a light squeeze, Wanda released the nervous breath she had been holding. Then she turned to look at you. Seeing the creasing lines of worry on your forehead, Wanda immediately felt guilty. She was being paranoid. Of course, you wouldn't do that to her.

"Hey, what's wrong, Wands?" Your soft voice, that at times she found reassuring, filled the entire car.

Wanda averted her eyes back to the road, wishing the traffic light would turn to green. She felt your hand on her face, gently cupping and pulling her to look at you. "Wands..."

She licked her lips nervously as she shook her head. "Nothing, it's just..."

Wanda was suddenly thankful when the signal went to a 'go' because she thought she had evaded your question. But you knew better.

"I'm sorry about my friends... I know they have stepped the line. They shouldn't have joked about it... I'll probably tell them to shut-"

"No, please don't do that," Wanda cut you off, giving you a pleading look. The last thing she wanted was to be a strict mom in the relationship. "I'm fine, Y/n. Really..." But she wasn't. You didn't have to know that.

The rest of the ride had gone quiet and Wanda could see you thinking hard on the situation. When you and her had finally arrived at the university, Wanda suddenly found you hesitant to climb out the car. "Come on, Y/n, you're gonna be late for your class."

You only looked at her with pure concern, to which Wanda felt stupid for acting out like that. "Are you sure you're okay though?"

Wanda only nodded, a short pause of hesitation when you tried to kiss her and she felt both sorry and guilty throughout the day, especially when you didn't show up for lunch. Even when you told her why you couldn't come, due to school work and exams, she couldn't help but feel like it was her fault. Her overthinking.