Chapter 11

Something was wrong.

You could tell something was wrong. Wanda was acting all weird and scared, that everything was just a fantasy to her and you liking her was just too good to be true.

Maybe she wasn't really used to have good things that would last. She mentioned in the past how she was always second when it comes to her twin brother, Pietro. And all the failed relationships that had cracked her heart, especially Jarvis, made her more cautious and wary to new interests.

You couldn't really blame Wanda. You knew that one mishap or misunderstanding could make her instantly build a bricked wall around her heart for protection. That maybe the heartbreaks she had encountered in the past had left you zero or even negative chances of ruining it, even when you didn't intend to.

What happened during the game with your group of friends must had took Wanda's doubts to a whole certain level. Even though you tried to reason everything to her, you could tell it was still bugging your girlfriend. You even had shared the same thoughts when you couldn't relate to Wanda's friends when you were out with them.

The following morning, you thought everything was finally fine. You and Wanda even had some early morning shenanigans causing you to be late for your class. The ride to school was unbearable, the fog of 'trying to move forward' filled the atmosphere.

When Wanda stopped the car in an intersection, waiting for the traffic light to turn to green, you noticed her hand shaking on the steering wheel. This made you worry and held her hand to stop the shaking.

"Hey, what's wrong, Wands?"

She avoided your gaze, so you crept your hand to the side of her face and made her look at you. "Wands..."

"Nothing, it's just-"

You needed to butt in, knowing you had something to say about your friends and the way they acted. "I'm sorry about my friends... I know they have stepped the line. They shouldn't have joked about it... I'll probably tell them to shut-"

"No, please don't do that," Wanda cut you off. "I'm fine, Y/n. Really..."

So you settled on her reply because she didn't want to talk about it. It got you thinking that maybe this could be the beginning of the end, that she'd slowly drift away from you. And you didn't want that. Were you too young for her liking? Didn't she like you like this? Maybe spending time with your friends made her realize you were really immature and still needed time to grow?

When you finally arrived at the parking area and she still dodged your question, you went to give her a kiss. There was a short second where you thought she avoided your mouth but eventually accepted. And it bugged you the whole day, that Wanda hesitated to kiss you.

You got preoccupied with writing some essays for the class and studying for the upcoming exams. So preoccupied that you didn't show up to your lunch dates with Wanda. But you didn't fail to notify her about it.

When you went to visit Wanda in her table at the faculty office later in the afternoon, Carol suddenly held you up by the entrance, asking about schoolwork and the book she mentioned last week during one of her classes.

You tried to be approachable, answering her questions and never ignoring. After Carol ran out of things to say, you excused yourself because you were supposed to meet your girlfriend, Wanda. You didn't know why you added the term 'girlfriend' as if you needed it. But maybe Carol didn't get the memo that recently, things had gotten really serious between you and Wanda, not just the whole pretending game.

A look of disappointment crossed Carol's face. You didn't give much of a thought about it when you awkwardly walked past her.

And there you saw Wanda, your breathtakingly beautiful Wanda, busily going through work on her laptop.