Chapter 12

"Are you sure you're okay?" Kate asked, peering through the door. You looked at her reflection on the mirror in front of you, forced a smile and nodded.

"You know you can't hide from her forever," she added before she softly closed the door, leaving you alone in the dim bedroom of Kate's apartment.

Suddenly, a vibration on the bedside table made you glance at your phone. Wanda's name appeared on the screen like a warning. Danger.

You only groaned, ignoring the call that went straight to a missed one, as you laid your back on the warm sheets of Kate's bed, grabbed a pillow, shoved it into your face and screamed.

Then you threw the pillow back to where you took it and tried to calm your beating heart. You wondered how it was still functioning at that point when a certain gorgeous woman with deep emerald eyes broke it into pieces. And you couldn't care less on sweeping and collecting the scraps, the shards of your porcelain heart. You didn't want any of it.

Wanda would be the last person you'd ever love like this.

The blank white ceiling above you eventually became dull the more you stared at it. And as if you'd gone schizophrenic, you began seeing the bitter memories you tried so hard to bury before you. Shown to you like your brain was the film rolling in speed and your eyes were the projectors.

"I knew there was something wrong between the two of you!" Jarvis' voice filled the empty corridors of the university. "I knew it'd be sooner 'til one of you gives up the facade!"

His cruel laughter echoed through as you ran after Wanda, who seemed eager to get away from him, from you.

"Wanda! Stop!" You called after her but she didn't slow down her pace. Upon reaching, you immediately grabbed her wrist and made her turn to look at you.

And Wanda's eyes were already red from tears threatening to burst. "It's over, Y/n... Jarvis saw the whole thing..."

"I don't care if he saw the whole thing, Wands," you hurriedly assured her, as you cradled her head between your hands. "Wands, there's nothing going on between me and Carol, you've got to believe me... please..."

And Wanda bit back a sob as she avoided your gaze, failing when tears managed to escape from her eyes. Your hands caught them as you lifted her face to see you.

"Wands, I love you," you pleaded, almost close to tears, desperate for her to hear you, to trust you. That your heart only belonged to her.

When you said those words, Wanda only broke into a sob as she shook her head and pushed away from you.

"Wands, please-"

"-There are consequences, Y/n...," she muttered, sniffling a cry. "We signed an agreement that it was real..."

"It is real, Wanda! What I feel towards you is real!"

Wanda only shook her head as she cried a bit more. "Jarvis believes otherwise-"

"-Do you? Do you believe me?"

She only bit her lower lip to stop herself from crying even further more. "Y/n... I could lose my job... You would not be able to graduate.."

You grew silent, the new information slowly sinking in.

"It's over, Y/n," she went on as she wiped the tears away with her hands.

"Do you want this to be over?" You weakly asked, scared of hearing her answer.

There was a small pause before she finally spoke. "Take care on your bus ride home, Y/n..."