chapter 2 • the police

A horrible, sinking feeling fell over me. I look out the window as three cop cars roll into the McDonald's parking lot, their red lights so bright they illuminated the whole restaurant.

Something tells me the police aren't here to arrest the Hamburgular.

"Yolly why are the cops here?" Jeremy asks me, the half-eaten McNugget in his hand dropping in fright.

"I don't know" I answer, craning my neck around to get a better look out the window, which was being swarmed by customers and employees.

"Hey, are you guys alright, did you see anything happen?" says a familiar voice. It was hard to hear him underneath the sounds of the sirens.

"Yeah we're fine- and um no we didn't see anything. We were just eating our meals and then heard and saw the lights and shit" I tell Chris.

Upon closer inspection, I notice Matt is standing beside him. They really do look similar but possesses certain facial features that decipher them apart. "Hi again" I say to Matt, smiling at him.

Matt smiles back, and I can't help but notice the hint of blush that pigmented his cheeks, "Hey" he said. I swear he's the only one who's ever made a McDonald's uniform look hot.

Thankfully the manager motioned for the customers to sit the fuck down, so now I can see out the window better.  Policemen were wandering the parking lot, looking confused and lost. Did the criminal get away or something?

"What the fuck" Chris says, his arms crossed over. "I mean it's not unusual to see the police here but it doesn't look like they've arrested anyone".

Matt nods in agreement, "Maybe someone was stabbed or some shit".

A mcbuzz sounds out from my phone.

Dad 7.39pm

I'm in the car. Not feeling well. Bring the rest of your food and let's go. 👍

I look down at my iPhone screen, unable to process what I'm reading. Was it some sort of crazy coincidence or was my dad the one on the run from the police? There is no way... or is there?

"You alright?" Chris asks. He must've noticed the somber expression painted on my facial features. It kinda makes my heart flutter to know he noticed.

"I'm fine" I lied, opening my side bag and stuffing my fries and burger into it. "We've um- got to go" I then whisper to Jeremy.

Matt and Chris exchange glances. They're probably catching on to something. I hope they know I have nothing to do with this. "I have nothing to do with this, btw" I add.

"We never thought you did" Matt states casually, his cool hands dipping into the pockets of his mcdonalds jeans.

Chris nods in agreement, "Yeah".

"I'll... see you guys around" I say, wishing that fate had different plans then possibly running away from the police.

As I was rushing out with Jere on my arm, I hear, "Wait!".

I turn around so fast I get whiplash. I'm also out of breath, "Chris?".  I can't help but wonder who's serving the customers if he's here with me. But that doesn't matter.

"I never caught your name" he said, his eyes full of hope.

"Yolly" I smile, "It's Yolly".

I can tell he's never met someone called Yolly before, as his expression speaks volumes. "I like it" he says.

"Thanks". A guy has never made me feel as butterflyey as he does. My heart is also doing somersaults and everything right now. I can't wait to go home and make up fake scenarios about him in my head.

"I'll see you around, Yolly".

"See you around" I respond, a soft smile printed on my lips.

As strange as this night has been, I've also just met the potential future love of my life. Oh, and his brother. This is going to be like the summer I turned pretty, only on a budget and even more messy. I quickly realise I have a toxic mindset.

"Why did we have to leave?" Jeremy asks as we make our way to the vehicle, "Also why do those random guys keep talking to you?".

Yeah why do they keep talking to me? I mean, I'm different. I'm weird. I've never been the girl who the boys chase. So why do Chris and Matt like me?

"Dads not feeling well" I explain to him, "And I can't answer that second part. Believe me, I don't know either".

We arrive at the car, and my dad is keeping it very lowkey. He's got his hoodie on and looks on high alert. Yep, the police are defiantly here for him but I'm going to act dumb.

"You alright dad?" I ask as I climb into the back seat.

"Yeah, just a stomach bug" he replies, revving the engine as soon as Jeremy gets in the car. He then backs out of the carpark and practically flies out of the joint.

Something very mcstrange is happening with my dad. But I don't need his negative energy in my life so let's keep him a side plot.

Let's not forget the real story here: and that's Chris and Matt.

As we make our way home, I look down at my phone. And then a sudden thought suddenly hits me like a painful blow. I forgot the receipt.

"Shit!" i whisper to myself in frustration. Relax Yolly, maybe you put it in your bag. But I open it, and there's no receipt in sight. This can't be happening. And it's not like I can just ask my dad to turn around.

A tear rolls out of my eye and down my cheek as I stare out the window, watching as the raindrops race against each other. What if I never see Chris or Matt again?