chapter 20 • woes & cop cars

My poor heart can't take a break. Heart rushing and head ringing, I rush down the path to my house.

"Hey! What are you doing? Let him go!" I cry out hysterically, watching in horror as two police offers guide my dad to the cop car, handcuffs tight around his wrists.

My dad looks over at me with the most genuine sadness I've ever seen. No. No. No. This can't be happening.

Tears are swelling up in my eyes. A female cop taps me on the back, "Hey sweetheart, is this your father?".

I nod, my throat tight. Please, please wake me up from this nightmare. "Why- why- why are you taking him away?" I cry, the sad liquid now pouring down my face.

"Deep breaths dear. Your father has been involved with some very serious crime" the cop explains, "Are you aware of what's been going on?".

My heart stops in my chest. "What?" I choke out, "No- I- I have no idea!". My whole world is crumbling around me.

"It's going to be okay. What's your name dear?".

I know the officer is just doing her job, but for some reason she is infuriating me, how can she just let them take my dad away like that!

"Yolly- Yollison" I sob.

"How old are you Yolly?". What the fuck is with all the questions?

"I'm eighteen".

"Alright. You're old enough to know then...Would you like to sit down while I tell you? We can sit in the back of my cop care if you'd like? I understand all the flashing and noises can be scary".

Ive been so distracted by this woman speaking to me I hadn't even noticed my dad had disappeared and was now in the back of a cop car. My entire soul is breaking. My head is fuzzy, I feel nauseous- I have to get away. I have to.

"No- no! I don't want to know!" I gasp out, backing away from the female cop, "I can't believe you guys are taking my dad away! I need him!".

"Honey, I know this is very distressing to watch" she begins, "But your father has been involved in some very serious criminal activity and unfortunately we have no other choice. We've just raided the house with dogs and have contacted your step mother if you'd like to wait for her to come".

Raided my fucking house with dogs? I can't believe it. What sort of breaking bad bullshit is this?, "He didn't kill someone did he?!".

"No, he was found with possession of illicit substances".

DRUGS? I think I'm going to THROW up.

"What! You're lying!" I scream out, this is a mistake. My dad is the LAST person on earth to do dru- yeah, no- I can't kid myself. My dads a fucking druggy!

"Unfortunately I'm not".

"I..." I cough out, my legs starting to shake anxiously, "I- please just let him go! He will never do it again!".

"Yolly, that's not how it works".

I don't give a fuck! You're taking away a man who can become innocent! It's not like he killed someone!

"It's not like he's killed someone!" I scream out. I'm not a drug apologist, but he didn't draw blood!

"Well, that's not entirely true. He is indirectly responsible for the murder of a pair of teenagers who were found overdosed in a Denny's car park earlier tonight. Their parents ratted your father out to the cops".

What the fuck. "That's their fault! Not my dad! He was just the seller! He didn't tell them to overdose!" I shout out, "I'm not letting you take him away!".