chapter 33 • the birthday party III

"Matt-" I begin, my entire body starting to shake. My entire world is slowly crashing around me. I can't believe I just kissed Chris. How could I be so STUPID? Like I was so caught up in my own emotions I didn't even notice I was kissing the WRONG FUCKING BROTHER. If Matt doesn't forgive me, I don't know what I'd do.

"Don't" Matt hisses, holding his hand up, tears starting to well up in his ocean blue eyes, the eyes I stared into just hours ago when we shared a beautiful moment...Everyone in the room is watching us, even yung plaet who has stopped his performing, is watching on in concern, "I don't want to hear it".

My heart is wrenching in my chest, "Matt, please, please listen to me" I beg in desperation, going to walk up to him to grab his hand, but he pulls away, "I thought- I thought Chris was you Matt, I really did- I couldn't see properly or think properly and I had just gotten in a huge fight and-".

"I don't want to hear it" Matt growls at me, and the whole room is so silent you could hear a pin drop. Nick is staring on in shock, Madi is staring on in shock, Volley I don't care enough to look, and everyone else? Staring on in shock. "I always knew there was something going on between you two. I'm not a fucking idiot".

My heart is in my throat right now. I go to respond, to defend myself, to tell him that's not true and how much I love him but I know that me and Chris happened... I can't erase that but Matt just needs to know that I'm here for him now and only him. "I..." I begin, my throat dry and tight from the effort of holding back so much tears.

"Matt-" Chris cuts in, stepping in between us and grabbing him by both of his arms to look him dead in the face, "It was an accident- she thought I was you, she even called me Matt, like she genuinely didn't mean to do it-".

"Didn't she?" Matt snaps back, breaking free from Chris's grip and facing back at me, "Because it looked like she knew what she was fucking doing". My knees are trembling, how could he accuse me of this? I know how it looked, but I didn't mean to do it!

"Matt- calm down" Nick then adds in, also stepping in between the fight, and it still feels so surreal that Nick is defending me like this, "Let Yolly explain herself".

The entire audience continues to watch on as Matt stares at Nick and Chris, who both nod reassuringly at him. He then turns back to face me. A pang of hope surges through my body, because if he's willing to listen? Then I could win him back. Just like I did all those weeks ago when I apologised to him for the beatles incident...

Everybody's eyes were on me and Matt now. This is my chance. I take a deep breath in, stepping over the confetti littered on the ground and toward him. I'm now about a metre away. Matt watches me, blinking back tears. I can't believe I've broken his heart on his birthday... I feel absolutely terrible. I can't lose him and he can't lose me.

I try to remain as calm as possible when I say, "Matt... the honest to god truth is that I didn't know it was Chris. There is nothing going on between us two. You have to believe me". I stare into his ocean blues, and I can tell by the way he looks into my hazel's, that he believes me.

"Yolly..." he begins, but out of nowhere Volley steps in between us. The whole audience gasps. What the fuck.

"Matt, she is lying straight to your face" Volley cuts in, and everyone in the room collectively gasps once more. I'm frozen to the ground, unable to move, unable to say anything. Because I know that everything is about to be fucking destroyed. Volley knows what happened. My heart is pounding in my ears.

"That's NOT true!" I shout at Volley, my voice breaking. I look to Nick for help, and he nods and immediately steps in between us all, "Leave Yolly the fuck alone". I don't know if Nick would defend me if he really knew the truth...