chapter 6 • you dont like the beatles?

"so... how was work?" i ask matt as he starts up the minivan. i kinda feel like a weirdo going from one brother to the other.

"kinda fucked but that's expected. i had someone throw cold fries in my face".

what the hell? karen's are getting out of pocket. "at least it is wasn't hot fries?" i offer, trying to make him feel better. it would be a real shame if that face of his got burnt off.

matt huffs, "yeah, that would've been fucked up. nick once got 9 nuggets throw at him in the drive thru because he gave them 9 in instead of 10".

honestly? deserved. if i order 10 nuggets, i want 10 nuggets. maybe i'm a karen? nah i just don't like nick. "oh no" i sigh out, even though i don't care.

and i'll have you know i don't hate nick coz of his orientation, im an ally to the lgqtb's, Nick was rude to me so i'm gonna be rude back. period.

matt turns his radio on as the minivan steers out of the drive way and onto the road. let's just say, his music taste is um, interesting.

"do you like the beatles?" i ask. truly a make or break question in a relationship.

"YOU MIGHT SAY THAT IM A DREAMER" matt screams.

"is that a yes or?". he is so random and silly. but i must know if he likes those 4 beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful boys who made amazing music in their day.

"i don't really like them, no" matt says.

that was like a dagger to the heart. i feel my toes turn into jelly. "oh... well have you listened to them before?".

he shrugs, "it's not that i don't like them (my inner thoughts: bro you just said you didn't like them), "it's just that they're not my taste in music ya know?".

the beatles are for every music palette ever, they ARE the music industry. i'm going to make matt into a beatles stan if it KILLS ME. i think this rap stuff he's playing is borderline satanic.

"i get that" i begin, "but like you should give them a go". i know its petty to get mad at someone for their opinion, but im genuinely upset. the beatles are a part of me. me saying that i like the beatles is like the most vulnerable piece of information i can share to someone. they are a part of my soul. they're like my family. in fact, i think i used to see john lennon's ghost when i was younger. john lennon is my god.

"maybe" he states, but i know he's just trying to make me feel better. flattery doesn't work with me. "you can play them if you'd like" he offers as we stop at a red light, unlocking his phone with his face id and then passing me his phone. there is something so romantic about this.

i blush, "thank you". my fingers slide onto his spotify, and i go to type the beatles in the search bar. what the fuck is a lil pleit? yung pleit sorry. still what the duck is that?

i press on the spotify playlist, THIS IS THE BEATLES and hit shuffle.

Now Playing:

Now Playing:

         the beatles - oh! darling
0:01  ❍─────── 4:28
               ↻     ⊲  Ⅱ  ⊳     ↺
  Volume: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

"this matt- is your full name matthew ?".

"um yeah". why is he acting like this is an unreasonable question? he could've just straight up be called matt.

"ok, this matthew storneolo is real music".

matt looks over at me looking both amused and puzzled. is he ... mocking me? because he can mock me all he wants but the moment he comes for my boys? that's game over.

"it's stur- nevermind" matt says, his hands are vividly tense on the steering wheel. and for what?

"so what beatles songs do you know?".

"ummm... imagine obviously-"

"that's mr lennons solo song not actually a band one". my hands fly to my mouth. i call him mr lennon because he feels like an uncle to me.

"oh shit sorry, don't know much beatle lore".

i cringe when he says 'beatle'.

"i also know 'here comes the sun'. that's it tho. wait do they sing california dreaming?".

my entire body is trembling with rage. i want to unbuckle his seatbelt and shove him out of this moving vehicle! the fucking disrespect!

"what songs are your favourites?" matt asks, i can tell he's trying to be interested but i can tell he doesn't respect the beatles.

i notice the tutti frutti freshener hanging from his van and without thinking what im doing, i roll down the window, seize it and throw it out the window, "suck on that, punk".

matt looks stunned as his face whips towards me, "are you fucking serious?".

"yeah i am!" i shout back, forcing the radio's volume knob down, "and you dont deserve to listen to them".

"you're literally fucking insane. if i wasn't a respectful person i'd pull over right now and make you walk in this rain to go get that back".

"nah babe, that's a you problem. you disrespected the beatles, so you're not a respectful human".

matt looks absolutely shaken as he laughs uncomfortably, like he can't believe me. fucking gaslighter. "how did i disrespect them? i just said they're not what i'm into. you're being insane".

"too late matthew" i growl. unbuckling my seatbelt, "pull over right now or i will smash your phone".

"what the fuck?".

"you heard me!".

"i will literally call the police on you".

"really big boy? i fucking dare you!".

matt pulls over so hard i nearly go face first into the dashboard, "oh wow, trying to literally murder me!".

"you're a crazy BITCH, get the fuck out and walk home" he shouts at me. he's kinda hot when he's mad. NO YOLLY. HE IS A SCUMMY PIECE OF DUNG. real men like the beatles. he is not a real man. or even a human being.

"FUCK YOU" i scream, tears streaming down my face. i thought he was love, now he's just a dog cunt.

"get out" he spits, staring straight ahead, his hands gripped tight to the wheel.

"fuck you matt".

"yeah, okay".

"you're the fucking worst human being ive ever met".

"okay fair enough, goodbye".

i push the door open and glare at him one more time, and he finally looks back at me, looking absolutely disgusted. this piece of work.

i was to angry to speak, but i wasn't letting this punk get the last word. "beatles FOREVER" i scream, spit flying out of my mouth before i jump out of the van and slam the door shut.

matt unrolls his window and sticks the middle finger up at me before practically speeding off.

what a piece of shit.