chapter 9 • petty burger

Nick is one thing, and that's not impressed, "Filling up your sick povo stomach after verbally abusing my brother huh?".

My heart stops in my throat, "Hol up- excuse me?".

"What?" Huddy gasps out, looking back and forth at us. He was the patty in the middle of this petty burger.

"I didn't-" I begin, desperately wanting out of this situation before i get exposed to Huddy's 30 million followers, "I didn't mean it! My period was coming and i just- got so upset. The Beatles just mean a lot to me and-".

"GIRL- you threw his air freshener out the window and screamed at him for not liking them".

Well when he says it like that...maybe I am mentally unhinged. But I am a changed person now, I've grown, I've matured... I'm wisened now.

The car behinds us lets out an aggressive honk, and Nick just flips them off before mumbling, "Impatient sluts".

"Listen Nick-" I say, unable to believe I was having to excuse my (admittedly horrible) actions in a McDonalds drive thru, "I'm so sorry".

Huddy has been completely silent during this whole thing, silently taking all this new information in. Also how the hell does Nick know Lil Huddy? Old friends or?

"Mhm, it's not me you should be apologising to", Nick utters, holding the credit card thingy scanner towards Huddydy, "You're just lucky my brother is as nice as he is because I would've run you over to the point you'd end up at a Beatles reunion".

Yeah, I probably deserved that insult. "I was also just being dramatic... im a theatre kid" I further explain, "I have a taste for drama, sorry im not perfect".

"Girl shut up. Chase, drive her out of my face please".

Huddy nods and the car starts rolling forwards toward the next window.

We sit there in silence as the (unfamiliar, thank god) worker hands us the bag of food and the two drinks perched in their cardboard holders. Huddy passes me the drinks and drives to a vacant carpark. We are still quiet.

He opens the bag and hands me my big mac and fries, "You going to explain yourself?".

I shove a handful of fries down my gob, "Are you going to explain yourself?" I uno reverse card.

Lil Huddy looks confused, "what do i need to explain?".

I peel back a ketchup packet and squeeze it all over my fries, "How you know Nick?!".

"Mutuals on tiktok" Huddy says, looking even more confused, "Everyone on that app knows who he is- or like who all of them are, the triplets that is. I've been tryna collab with them to get my relevancy back up".

The fry I was about to place in my mouth freezes mid air as I take in that information, "I'm sorry what?"

"Huh?".

I crunch down on the fry, "I'm so confused- are they like famous or something?".

Huddy's eyebrows fürrow, and I know he's trying to tell if im joking or not, but I'm literally not. I had no idea. How could I have no idea.

Without saying anything, he pulls up his phone, moves his hand between us and taps on the tiktok app.

Huddy then starts typing "Sturniolo triplets" into the search bar with his greasy fingers, and let's just say I nearly have a heart attack when the results pop up. I've been hanging with 2/3 of famous triplets without me knowing? and I'm beefing with one of them?

"WHATT. the. fuck." is all I can manage to breathe out. I have so many questions.

"I wonder why they didn't tell you" Chase says casually, sipping his cocacola. Was that the family secret Nick had mentioned? pretty anticlimactic. They're just famous on a dancing app.

"Who knows" I say, trying to act like it didn't piss me off. Guess we're equal now, and also I completely fumbled the bag dogging famous people. "Wait what is that one-" I say as he scrolls down to show me just how many videos they make/people make of them.

"This?" Huddy asks, his finger hovering over a edited looking picture of Matt. he clicks down on it and music starts blasting, and it shows clips of him that I never knew even existed in slow mo and everything and PowerPoint ass transitions-

"Oh yeah that's a fan edit, people make heaps of me. Well, my 3 active fans but still, I make sure to like them all".

"WHAt the fuck" is all I can say, biting down onto my Big Mac, which I look down at and then back at Chase, "Wait why do they work at mcdonalds then if they're famous?".

"They were filming a youtube video in the carpark when suddenly they noticed the manager being swarmed by a bunch of raccoons with rabies".

"Huhhh?".

"Yeah so like," Lil Huddy continues casually, eating his fries, "They go out and help her and then she offers them a job".

"Why did they take it? couldn't they have just politely say no?".

Huddy shrugs, "Nice guys I suppose. they don't even accept pay checks. Probably wanting a taste of real life outside of fame. sometimes im tempted to just walk into wendys and start a shift".

It makes my heart all fuzzy that they do chairty work, like they don't even get paid to have karens throw food in their faces. mad respect. I have screwed up.

"I've screwed up Huddy".

"Please baby girl, call me Chase", he says with a wink.

"Umm... okay Chase, I've screwed up", I continue, feeling a little... nerv nerv around him. Why was he winking? Was he a magician? 🤹

"How?" He asks, peeling the skin of his McNugget before popping it in his mouth and chomping. Umm... mum pick me up I'm scared oh wait my mum is dead :(( six feet under 😭😢 bones... 🦴

"Well, I need to make the triplets like me again", I tell him, "Because it just makes me feel like a snake... and I hate when people call each other snakes. Any advice?".

"Umm...", Chase begins, staring off into the front car window without a single thought behind his eyes, "Just get them to like you again".

"Thanks for the advice, Chase", I smile.

"Don't mention it sweet cheeks" 😜, he smirks.

•••

this chapter is dedicated to the only one who reads this story at the moment,
Thefishatar 🥰