chapter 27 • is that a threat?

Who would've thought I'd be ending the night wearing onesies and eating Aldi brand Doritos with Matt Sturniolo? Not me. Oh, and we're watching Monsters University. Can't get more romantic than this.

"So..." I bring up, halfway through the movie, "What made you say fuck it imma come over here?".

Matt shuts his phone off and looks over at me. The dinosaur onesie just makes him look so much cuter. "I just thought- I've got nothing to lose you know?" he smiles, "You're like... no other girl. I can be fully myself around you and you get me like nobody else does".

My heart is so full, "All of that? But back at you Matt. You're the only guy I've ever truly loved". Suck on that Chris, Louis and Lil Hudson .

Matt smiles. "And the thing is- it's always been my brother... Chris. I've just kinda... existed in the background. He's the one all the girls want. He's the one with the most tiktok edits. Then there's me... the boring one".

"You are not boring" I assure him, squeezing his hand. Kinda wild how his dialogue is similar to what Chris said to me. Sounds like these two need a good sit down conversation and need to stop comparing each other to the other. Damn maybe I should become a therapist.

"You sure?".

"Positive. You sliced a squishmallow in half for fuck sake. That is not boring, it gives you so much extra character. You're like so mysterious... you're a puzzle waiting to be solved... a door waiting to be unlocked".

Matt laughed a tad but then looked pretty guilty, "That was so poetic".

"I am actually distantly related to Shakespeare" I chuckle, before leaning my head on his shoulder. It's true, my ancestry.com stats are wild. Anyways, Matt cuddles me close and we watch the rest of Monsters University.

When the movie was done, Matt looks at me, a twinkle in his eyes, "Yolly, I've got something to ask you".

I'm honestly half asleep, I sit up, my eyes drooping , "Yeah, homie whats up?".

"So... my 19th birthday is coming up".

Why does this sound so familiar?

"Oh my god really! When?" I smile, maybe it's kinda fucked that I don't know my own boyfriend's birth- wait are we official?

"August 1st" Matt tells me, fiddling with the ears of my stitch onesie, "And like... we're going to LA. I want you to come with us".

Oh. That's why it sounds so familiar. Its also just hit me that I've gone back and forth between Matt and Chris for the past few days. That's kinda messed up. Oh well. The heart wants what it wants.

"Umm..." I say slowly, "I'm not sure if I'd be able to make it". Because I'm totally going to walk in there with Matt knowing damn well I dated Chris for a day. Yeah, sounds like such a good idea. NOT!!!

"Really? Why?". There's a hint of sadness in his narrowed brows.

"I... just don't think I'd be able to like- afford air fairs and all". I also dated your brother behind your back not even 24 hours after you dumped me, but that's not the point.

"Don't worry about it. I'll cover your flight. Plus we stay with our manager Laura and her daughter Madi. They're both the best and I'm sure they won't mind some extra company. They'll love you". Your brother Chris also once loved me and called me his girlfriend... STOP INTRUSIVE THOUGHTS STOP.