Chapter Three

I mostly stayed because of the thrill he gave me, along with excitement

I mostly stayed because of the thrill he gave me, along with excitement. But i never knew that he would turn into a monster i could never love.

We had our times.

We had our mishaps.

I love Maxwell.

I grew up loving him.

It is hard to stay away from them, I used to think that women who stayed with their abusers were weak. But no, they were strong. Strong to manage all the shit thrown their ways. I, on the other hand am weak. I ran. I ran away instead of fighting.

I continue on the pathway to my mother, holding onto my duffle bag and a few roses I bought from the flower shop on the way. I push the gate; the creaking noise deafens me before it swings back closed. My feet crunch onto some leaves as I reach her.

There she was, buried six feet beneath me. The only thing that gave her an identity was the stone with her name printed on it. I get down on my knees and place the flowers on the ground, tears streaming down my cheeks.

"I'm sorry..." I weep, wiping away my tears with my palms as the duffel bag strap slips over my shoulders. "I didn't mean it...I love you, and I... left you when you needed me the most."

Guilt. Guilt and regret was the only thing that my heart had.

I miss you; I need you.

I whisper, lying beside her grave, staring at the sky. "He did it again, I thought he loved me...he did, and he still does. I don't know what to consider it...rape? I told him that i didn't want to have sex, but he did it anyways and i let it happen because I was scared of what he'd do...is that what love is?" I sob, closing my eyes.

"I keep making excuses for him...like he had a bad day or it's because both his parents died...what is love? I don't want to call the police on him because he's a good man with a lost heart..." I hear a sudden noise, almost like the snap of twigs and i shoot up from the ground.

Looking around.

No one was there. I wipe my cheeks with my sleeves and stand up, grabbing my duffle bag. I look down once more at her grave before making my way to Alexandra's house.

I reach the door; tears fell from my eyes as my fist linger inches away from it.

I knock.

Stepping back and waiting.

The door opens and Alexandra mum reaches the door, she rose a brow. "Catherine? Catherine Moore?" She whispers, trying to figure me out.

"Hello Mrs Jones, Urm, is Alexandra home?"

"You are five years late, Alexandra moved out and she's married now." She's married. Alex is married. A smile makes its way across my lip.

"Do you know where she might be?"