Chapter Twenty Four

When I wake up, my brain replays the last few scenes of my dreams, and my eyes allow streams of sunlight to enter

When I wake up, my brain replays the last few scenes of my dreams, and my eyes allow streams of sunlight to enter. I look around, blinking as quickly as I can. I adjust against the sheets, and notice everyone in the hospital room except for- Catherine.

"Where's Catherine?" I ask, Alex had tears falling down her eyes and Ares looks away from me. Alright, what on earth is going on? Did someone die or something?

"Mr Nicolaides, surgery went well-" Doctor Ashrama began to speak but the worry that Catherine has left me-it hit me hard in the gut.

"I said, where the fuck is Catherine?" I ask again, Ares looks away. I glance at Atlas to see him fidgeting with his fingers, why is no one looking at me? "Ares, where is she?"

"No Ares don't-" Alexandra holds onto his bicep.

"She-She was the donor. She donated her heart in exchange for yours and the LVAD."

Everything came to a halt for a brief moment, which felt like years had passed. When I look down at the stitches around my chest, all I feel is fucking guilt for having the wrong heart in me.

Catherine never went to therapy; instead, she underwent surgery. In exchange for mine, she gave her heart... Catherine Moore saved my life while destroying hers. I could not think straight, "where is my fucking girlfriend?" I ask the Doctor, almost begging her.

"She made it through surgery but-she only has a couple of weeks to live. Your original heart was too weak for the LVAD-we did not catch it earlier-"

My ears knew that I could not hear it, and so it blocked all the noises surrounding me. I remove the covers from my legs and try to get out of the bed, but my brothers were huddling me to settle back down. I tried to fight them, I needed to see her. I needed to see Catherine.

"I don't want this heart! I don't want it! Give it back to her! Give her back her fucking heart! This isn't mine!"

"Mr Nicolaides, if you continue to move, you will ruin your stitches, and all of this would have been done for nothing. Catherine gave you her heart...stop overworking it."

Doctor Ashrama whispers, I fall back onto the bed. Sitting up as I watch the city in front of me, Catherine Moore gave me her heart.

And I would have died on that surgery table if Catherine did not give me her heart. The LVAD would have never worked. Catherine is somewhere alone with my weak heart.

"Bring me to her, put us next to one another. Please."

"I'll see what I can do." Doctor Ashrama leaves the room.

"Get out." I whisper, no one moved a single muscle. "I said get out of the fucking room!"

They all looked at me in shock, mostly because I have never blown up on anyone in my life. I have never thrown a fit or a tantrum, I was always the calm one. Everyone departs without another word, I sunk onto my bed.