Chapter Eight

FIVE YEARS AGO

FIVE YEARS AGO

I finally got Alex to agree to go clubbing with me, whilst I wait in the car for her. I glance down at the card, I want to call him. But he's too good for me. I'm not worth it. I throw the card in the back the moment I hear her front door shut, I look up and my eyes widen once I see her. She looks absolutely stunning.

"Wow...you look fucking amazing. I never knew who had a snatched waist!" I chuckle pushing her shoulders. "Now I know why you're parents are forcing you to dress modestly."

"Stop." She laughs.

"I'm being serious Ali, you're body is to die for...no wonder you caught Ares' eyes. I love this you, you look so happy. Now! Lets get ready to get drunk." I reverse out of the driveway and onto the road.

"I've never been drunk."

"Never say never, and be prepared." I let out a long laugh, before bending over to grab my bottle of tequila and a cup. I hand it over to her, "go ahead, feel the heat!" She sorts herself a drink, and all that's on my mind is Maxwell . Maxwell. I need to get him out of my head, we only had once proper conversation for like an hour straight, but for some reason, I felt as if he understood me. I felt as if he could see right through my heavy walls that I've built up.

"That is disgusting..." She wipes her mouth.

"We are already here, okay let me park." After parking my car, we walk towards the queue and the bouncer nods us in without waiting. I link my arms with Alex, knowing that this is her first time. Excitement courses through my veins, me and my best friends first time in a club.

The moment we step inside, it felt amazing.

Because the dance floor is so crowded with people dancing to club music, there is no way to see it. I know I'm alive, I'm real, and reality is great with that music, that beat, and those wild, insane lights. I lead her to the bar, the same one I was at with Maxwell the other day. I hand the bartender my fathers business card, "create a tab for me!" I shout over the loud music.

"Is this a good idea?" She shouts over the music.

"I want you to let go, feel freedom. The thrill!" I hand her two shot glasses, and we both down it at the same time. Letting out weird noises from the nasty taste.

I'm clubbing like it's my last night on Earth, but I guess it's only to keep my mind from thinking about the impending hangover. The music drives me like a puppet on strings, my head pounding so hard that my brain shuts down. The strobe obscures so many of my actions, stopping every clap of my hands at different points. They'll have hell to pay tomorrow, but the alcohol continues coming in like an IV drip tonight.

I wrap my arms around her waist, before a stranger grabs onto Alex's hands and begins harassing her. I push him roughly, "touch her again and I'll kill you!"

"Come on, all that ass and no one to grind it on."

She hides behind me, and I glare at him long enough for him to return to his buddies. We agree to take a break and sit by the bar. When I glance at her, I notice she is terrified. "Well, aren't you both beautiful?"

My head turned, and it looked as if all the lights were focused on him. Maybe it was simply my drunken thoughts, but my heart did more than tingle. It blew up. The man had dark green eyes and dark hair, and he leaned against the bar, his gaze fixed on me. He examined every detail of my face.

"And you are?" Alex asks.

"Adonis, what about you two?"

"I'm Cathy, she's Ali." I shout over the music, he brings his ear closer for me to say it again. "You're stunning." I blurt out, my hand slaps against my mouth. I do not compliment no man.

"Cathy, I feel like me and you are going to get along just fine." We move to the dance floor after he offers me the most sly smile in the world. When I look back and see Adonis staring at me up and down, my entire body vibrates.

My cell phone! I unlock my bag and pull out my phone to find my mum calling. I turn around to see Alex dancing and hurriedly leave the dance floor. Before answering the phone, I keep my gaze fixed on Alex. I put my finger in one ear to block out the sounds.

"Hello?" I shout.

"Your father is being arrested!" My eyes widen. "He slapped Lucy in public, i need you to come get her-"

The heartache felt weird.

He slapped Lucy.

My father slapped Lucy, and I was not there to protect her from it. I was selfish. Selfish. "I'm coming now." I end the phone call, looking up to see Alex gone. Oh no. I push past people, rummaging through the crowd to see where she is. Where one earth did she go! The noise suddenly becomes quiet, it's taking everything in me to not break down and fall onto my knees.

"Excuse me-" I try to ask people, they all ignore me or tell me they dont know. My fingers dig into my scalp as I see the back door, maybe she went outside. I shift through the crowd, pushing the back door open as I see a man picking up-Alex! I rush after them, and watch him insert her into the car.

"Hey! What the fuck! That's my friend!" The man-Ares? Ares turns around as I rush towards them, I slam my fist against his chest.

"She's now your friend, yet you never answered the phone when she called!" Ares speaks, she called me...I look inside the car and see her turn her face away. "She got drugged and she can't even move, and was nearly fucking sexually assaulted. A good friend you are."

"No! No it isn't- Alex! I'm sorry, I am so sorry..." I bang onto the window, feeling tears leave my eyes as she turns her head around. Ares drives off, I rush after the car but he was too fast. "Alex!" I scream, my fingers rushing through my hair. I could race after him, but then I have Lucy.

Selfish.

I left my own friend because of- Lucy?

I fumble through my bag, grabbing my keys as I walk back to my car. I was too drunk to drive. But for some reason I felt like I've sobered up. One I enter my car, I press my forehead against the wheel and cry. I cry. Slamming my fist against it, over and over again.

You are a fucking idiot.

You are nothing but a shit friend.

A shit sister.

I had so much responsibility on my head, but this is my karma. I deserve this. I sink back into my seat.

"She got drugged and she can't even move, and was nearly fucking sexually assaulted. A good friend you are."

His words ring back into my head, what have I done? I should've known that the club isn't for her.