Chapter Twelve

While waiting for him to enter through the front door, I held his black coffee with no sugar in my right hand

While waiting for him to enter through the front door, I held his black coffee with no sugar in my right hand. It is precisely 6:55 a.m. After reading his guidelines, I made an effort to get up early in order to look presentable. Strict. They are strict and obedient, in my opinion. Because, as I looked around the firm, I noticed that all of the females were dressed in long maxi dresses with black heels.

The rules were simple:

1. Hair is to be tied up in a low bun at all times.

2. Dresses should be over the knee, and shirts should be buttoned from the front to look presentable.

3. No trainers. Black shoes only. Flats are permissible.

4. No Relationships in the firm.

5. Lateness is not allowed.

It is now precisely seven a.m., and the door opens within seconds, just as expected. Adonis enters, the doorman opens the door for him as he walks through. When he notices me, I straighten my back and bring him his coffee. "No sugar, black." I repeat his command, and he looks down at his watch.

"On time Moore." He smiles, he glances down at my green dress before making his way to the elevator specialised for him.

There are two others next to him for the use of any employee, i follow after him and step inside along with another man. He is short, glasses and long black hair. His shirt tucked all the way in, and trousers that are way to long for him.

"Mr Moretti, I have the case files for the Adam Case. A thorough read is needed, it will take up to seventeen hours-"

"Give it to Moore, Jack." He simply says, scrolling through his phone. Jack gives me a tight-lipped smile, handing me the stacks of files before exiting the elevator and allowing it to finally move up to his office floor. The files were heavy but i made no complaint as i watched the numbers on the screen change with every floor we pass.

Adonis caught my attention for a brief while; he stood tall and large for his height. His shirt is snug about his arms and waist, as if he goes to the gym on a daily basis, as if it was custom-made for him.

The first few buttons were undone, displaying tattoos that reached all the way up to his neck. His hair is beautifully done and presented, and he is a very handsome man in general. He exuded power, and he was aware of it.

And-I know what he is trying to do.

The doors open, Adonis steps out first and I follow after him. "Moore, your desk is over there." I turn to see the medium sized desk in the corner of the room.

It sat there empty and out of life, black chair behind it. I make my way and settle behind it, dropping my bag onto the floor and the case files onto the desk.

I settle down and pull the first case file of the Adams case, "The Adams Case, murder." I look up to see Adonis standing in front of me.

"What is the background?" I ask.