Chapter Twenty Three

SONG FOR THIS CHAPTER: Evening Sky by Austin Farewell

My mother used to tell me,

"offer kindness proactively. Pay attention to the people around you and what you can do to make their lives a little easier."

Adonis was not improving; his heart was too weak for his body and activity. I tried my hardest to support him at all hours of the day and night while we waited to be scheduled for the LVAD treatment.

Despite the fact that he was ill and feeling unwell. He continued to play with Adeline and tried to chase her around the hospital. I saw how his family cared for him and how much they all loved him; Adonis was a big part of their lives.

Adonis had a family.

Adonis had people who loved him more than anything in the world, he was their little joker. Night goes by and I sat in the same chair for a month now, getting an LVAD treatment required a lot of paperwork. It was an expensive treatment that thankfully he could afford.

Maxwell and I are still legally married and waiting for the divorce settlement.

However, sitting on this couch for the past couple of weeks made me realise how much I love Adonis. How much he loves me, the way he looks at me and the way he makes me smile. His silly jokes and unfunny dirty ones. However, sleep is not healing the stress I am going through, I had restless night and my legs were walking back and forth.

"Daily joke?" My eyes widen and I look back at Adonis slowly adjusting himself up against the bed. I rush towards him, looking all over his body to make sure he's okay. "What did the penis say to the condom?" Oh, this fucking man-

"What?"

"Cover me, I'm going in!" He bursts out laughing at his own jokes. "Oh, come on, I heard you say it was funny."

"I only said that because I knew you'd come back from the dead to tell me 'I told you so'" I lie.

"Mhm, not like you cried for thirty minutes straight wanting to hear another joke."

"If you weren't already fucked up, I'd fuck you up myself."

"What did the penis say to the vagina?" I am not even going to-"Don't make me come in there!" Okay, maybe that was slightly funny. I press my forehead onto his, stroking the back of his head. I look up and see the doctor standing by the window to wait for my signal. I shake my head, asking her to give us more time.

"Adonis."

"Catherine."

"I love you."

"I love you snowflake." I crawl into the bed next to him, he takes my hands into his as touches it with a small kiss.

"Thank you, thank you for helping me...protecting me and supporting me."

"Why do you sound like you're the one whose dying?" He chuckles, I nod my head at the doctor.