Chapter Eighteen

AUTHOR: PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT AND FOLLOW!

We spent days and nights, working on how to put Maxwell behind bars. The office was stacked with Chinese takeout boxes, the windows were full of markers. I could understand why people would pay Adonis Millions to work for them. He is fucking amazing.

The way he works, as if it's reading a book.

He stood with compassion and i guess that's what makes him so great at his job. We had our laughs, and our sad times. Well, mostly my cries were heard in the office.

We obtained a restraining order a week ago, and I have never felt safer. "Now for the proof. The judge will request to see the evidence. Do you have any photographs?"

Yes, I do. Oh, I have a lot. Because I'd send them to my mother. Following her death. I felt as if I were ranting to someone. I nod and step away from the office table, collecting my handbag and pulling out my phone.

Adonis shoves two hands down his pockets, "they're really bad..."

"Show me."

I hand him the phone, and he looks down at the pictures. His jaw tenses, he looks up at me before handing me back the phone. "Catherine, why have you never asked for help before?"

"Because I-Adonis, I did not grow up with an amazing father or parents, I grew up mothering my little sister. My father was a drunk, an abuser as well. I grew up with men like that, I thought it was normal,"

"Was Maxwell the first man to rape you Cathy?" He whispers, my eyes widened as I looked into his eyes so suddenly. How did he know? "I can see it in your eyes." My jaw tenses, tears begin to soak my inner lids as I turn away from Adonis and walk towards his desk to mess about with a few papers.

"No." I whisper. "I was raped before, I was nineteen and he was the high school jock, my drug dealer...my mother chose Lucy over me, and I went to go to Alex, I called her three times, but she never answered. So, I called Damon, he was having a party when I arrived and..." I take sudden breaths, "I went in the jacuzzi, and everyone began to leave. Damon made a move, I rejected but he-he forced himself onto me. I begged him to stop, I fought him, and I tried Adonis, I really did fucking try but he was bigger and stronger than me. I called Alex-I called her and-"

"That was the morning of the confrontation? Where you were mad at her...you were raped?" My jaw froze, as did my heart. He knew about the confrontation. "You-you were not drunk were you, Catherine?"

No!

No! I was not fucking drunk!

Finally, someone believed me.

"I wasn't drunk. I was just raped. She shouted at me after I went to apologise for my words, she shouted, and I remember her words so clearly because every night-morning they haunt me."