The Seawitch's Regret (20)

Lucino's Secret

I never understood what I truly faced until that moment.  I didn't understand what I was warned of until then.  Because it all lead back to those careful words that I always had once feared.

Death.

Her death

And the moment she said those words I truly gasped.

I didn't understand.
I thought Levy told me he loved her.

How could anyone not love her though??

It filled me with anger.

It wasn't until later I found out the exact conversation she overheard and this time it was word for word:

"That girl, there is something suspicious about her." Lucino happened to laugh dryly,

"That is why I have been keeping her here. I'm grateful Zestrella befriended her though, being with her was so bothersome. After awhile she got boring and dull." He let out an everlasting long sigh,

"She makes stupid faces and it doesn't make sense. But Zestrella told me to not hurt the girl because she is in love with me apparently."

The advisor looked at him, "Sir what are you going to do now? I thought you were going to marry her?"

"No," he shook his head, "You misheard. I was talking about Zestrella."

Levy's figure crumbled and with her remaining energy she ran to me.

In my arms, I held her tightly.  I won't let you die.

You will live.

And you will survive.

I promise.

But promises doesn't mean that it won't happen.  It just means you really want to prevent it or make something happen instead.  And broken promises can always happen and in times like these, someone always blames another for breaking the promise.

In this case I am the one who blamed someone for breaking it.

For I blame myself.

...

I saw Levy about fall over from all the emotions she was feeling.  I rushed over and caught her.  She turned to me with a sad expression.

I only mirrored it, "He's marrying her, Levy.  How could he after all that time he spent with you?!" I exclaimed, but she had no words to say not could she answer my question.

"I thought..." I even began to cry for her, "I thought you said he loved you?!" I leaned by head over her shoulder, "I can't lose you."

Levy shrugged.  'I heard him say that but I have no idea what happened since.' She lowered her head, 'What if he decides he didn't like me.'

I shook my head, "None of that.  Don't you worry, Levy." I told her definitely.  "I'll protect you and make sure he'll won't marry.  I... I'll give him something so that he'll only have eyes for you!" I decided to make it better.

All that matters is that she lives and is happy.

Levy stared at me with confusion and shook her head.

'No!  It won't be right.' she seemed to be staring at me with a fierce expression, 'I won't accept this with a love potion.'

I forgot that she was naive about certain things.  I forgot how she didn't like methods like that.  It wasn't necessary evil, but in the grey area.
And I am a lot of grey.