[Soulmate AU]

this was half of a collab with phantom :)

ignore the title it's almost 3am and idk what to name it lmao

WC: 2.2k

Everyone knew what a soulmate was, and everyone had one. It was something that was normal for everyone. Some soulmates could be platonic, some could be romantic. It was common knowledge how a soulmate worked; if you wrote something on your body somewhere (typically your arm), then it would show up on the other person's body in the same place. Some used this to communicate with their soulmates, some used it as an opportunity for shenanigans. You'd be able to write to your soulmate at around age eighteen (soulmates were always around the same age), and the skill grew from there.

But Doc didn't know any of this.

Doc had had no clue what a soulmate was, until he joined Hermitcraft. He learned all about them from his fellow hermits. All about how they worked and felt and how fun they were.

But Doc...Doc had never experienced any of this.

He'd always just assumed that because he wasn't technically human, he didn't have a soulmate. But he never really thought about it much, because then he would second guess himself with things like, Jevin isn't human. Why does he have a soulmate? He'd always found soulmates annoying and confusing, so they were a very minuscule part of his life.

Bdubs, on the other hand, hated soulmates for another reason.

His whole life before he turned eighteen, he was ecstatic about getting his soulmate. The fact that someone out there in the world was destined by the universe to be his soulmate? It completely inspired him.

Until his eighteenth birthday.

He'd written to his soulmate all day. He filled his arm with Hello!s and How are you?s and I'm so excited to meet you!s.

And what did he get in response?

Nothing.

He'd been in tears by the end of the day, devastated by the fact that his soulmate didn't care enough to write anything back. His parents tried to comfort him, but it didn't work. Bdubs was heartbroken.

So he swore off ever writing to his soulmate again.

He never thought about his soulmate anymore. As far as he was concerned, his soulmate didn't exist to him. And the only thoughts he did have were angry ones.

Bdubs sighed and buried his head in his hands, ruffling his hair. He was thinking about it again. He wasn't supposed to do that. Whoever it is, they can go suck a lemon. They're dead to me. Considering I never even knew them in the first place. His fists clenched in anger, and he sighed as he got up. Walking outside of his castle, he looked out at the view over the ridge of the mountain. The sight cheered him up slightly; picturesque houses smattered across the rolling green grass, drenched in mid-afternoon sunlight and backed by a ridge of mountains.

He sat down on the ridge, letting his feet dangle over the edge. He normally would have never done that as high up as he was, but his mind wasn't in it right now. His thoughts were on his soulmate. But...who were they? Why did they ignore me?

Do they even...care that I exist?

Bdubs wilted a bit, placing his palms behind him and leaning back. He pushed his headband up, sighing. "DoubleO!" Bdubs' head snapped up as he heard a familiar German voice from above him. Bdubs' smile returned and he waved to Doc as the hybrid landed. "Hey, what'cha doing up here?" the hybrid asked, sitting down beside Bdubs. "Just thinking," Bdubs replied carefully. Doc smirked slightly. "That's never a good idea," he chuckled, and Bdubs sent him a mock-glare. "You don't know what my thoughts are!" he huffed, crossing his arms. "What if they're amazing epic thoughts! And you don't even know!" Doc snorted. "Whatever you say, DoubleO."