[Home]

this is a short but sweet platonic oneshot about Pearl and Grian!

WC: 574

Changes between seasons were always rough, and also risky. The portals weren't fully reliable; they did have a habit of making people who went through them disappear, sometimes for months at a time. But, the Infinity Portal was vital for changing seasons, so they had to risk it.

The moment Grian stepped through the portal, he was falling, his wings billowing out behind him. He didn't know where he was falling; up, down, left, right, but he knew he was falling, and falling fast. All around him was black, not unlike the void that lay deep beneath the world. He didn't hit anything for a long time, but then his back collided with something hard and solid, and he was out cold.

When he woke, everything was much too bright. He squinted against the harsh sunlight, his ears ringing. He felt soft grass beneath him, and slowly, as the ringing faded, he heard voices around him. Someone was crouched over him; on closer inspection, it was Scar. He sat up, rubbing his head. "Hey, Grian!" he said happily. "You're awake!" Grian smiled at his friend, getting to his feet. "Hi Scar! How was-"

Grian's heart fell through the floor.

Standing a few blocks away from Scar were two girls. One had brilliant green eyes and red hair, with deer antlers protruding from her head.

But the other girl...

Grian took a step towards her, his eyes wide and filled with tears. "...Pearl?" he whispered, barely a noise. But Pearl turned around, and her eyes went wide. "Grian...?" she said, turning away from the other girl.

No one spoke. All eyes were on Grian and Pearl.

"PEARL!" Grian shrieked, getting a running start and flinging himself into Pearl's arms, tears streaming down his face. Pearl hugged him back just as tightly, and Grian had a feeling she was crying, too. "Oh my gosh, Grian, you're here!" Pearl exclaimed. "You're here!" Grian cried tearfully, smiling up at her. "How did you- I mean- what did you do to get away from the-" Pearl looked down slightly, and pulled something out of her pocket. Grian gasped at what he saw. It was...a Watcher mask.

"I was one of them for a while," she said, her voice bitter. "It was awful. I never did anything for myself. But from what I've gathered, Xisuma magically zapped me here or something, and I'm here and you're here and not dead like I thought and you're happy." Grian smiled. "I really am."

Mumbo cleared his throat.

Grian whirled around; he'd sort of forgotten the other hermits were there. Most of them looked confused, but happy, but mostly confused. "You two...know each other?" Ren asked. Grian nodded. "Remember when I told you guys about Evo?" he asked, and he saw flashes of recognition in the other hermits' faces. "Ohhhh, so she was an Evolutionist," Stress said, smiling. "Well, welcome to Hermitcraft!" Pearl grinned. "Hermitcraft. That's cute."

Grian chuckled, leaning into Pearl's shoulder. The other hermits sort of wandered off to do their own thing, giving the two some space. "You're here," Grian whispered, smiling brightly. Pearl laughed softly. "Yeah I am. And I'm here to stay, hopefully. We have so much to catch up on," she continued. "When did you-" She looked down. "Grian?" Grian wiped the tears off his face, sniffling. "Are you okay?" she asked quietly. Grian laughed. "I'm fine, just happy." Pearl smiled at him, and they both looked out at the rising sun.

"This finally feels like...home."

remember to drink your water and that'll be all from me!