[Fever Dream]

mmm some good old Hels for the soul

because who doesn't love Hels?

this is a recent one shot as well

WARNING! This oneshot contains swearing and depictions of slight dissociation! If this topic makes you uncomfortable or causes you stress, I'd advise for you to not read this one shot, but it's your personal choice.

WC: 2k

Hels has been alone now for...how long?

He remembers that he started counting, scratching furious gouges in the nether brick walls of his base with his sword, leaving a bleeding reminder of each day he was without Ex. But he'd given up on that once his sword became chipped and dulled with use and Hels had to hack away at the bricks to make a cut deep enough in the wall. So he had let himself slip into the cold claws of a hazy, half-awake daze that carried him through most of his days, drifting in and out of sleep, eating when he needed to, generally just staying alive in case Ex came back. Would be a shame if he came back and I was a skeleton slumped against a wall, huh?

But he did feel like a skeleton slumped against the wall most of the time; it was hot in the nether, and with him being nearly constantly dehydrated, any sort of training would cause him to pass out after a few minutes. Highly inconvenient, since he had no idea if he wouldn't wake up. So he just sat, constantly sharpening his swords and arrows and daggers, obsessively keeping his armour shining and perfect, and he waited, long, dragging, hot days full of ash and bleary eyes staying open if only to see his friend again.

It was feeling a little pointless now, after an uncountable amount of days, and no sign of Ex ever returning. The Hermitcraft server remained running, although Hels had no idea what season they were in by now. He occasionally heard the whistling of an elytra and the firing of rockets jet past his fortress, but luckily, no one ever came in. He did remember, however, one time when he had seen Ex's wretched brother, Xisuma.

He'd been sharpening his sword, as he always would be, and he had heard a firework that sounded closer than normal. He'd leapt to his feet, creeping towards the sound, and seen Xisumavoid, standing in his glistening green armour, right in front of a broken bridge. A broken bridge that Hels knew happened to be right over a pit of lava.

It would have been too easy. It would have been a just revenge, for what he did to Ex and to me. But he didn't do it, because of Ex. Ex was highly attached to his brother, despite how often they fought, and Hels knew that Ex would go to the height limit and back for Xisuma.

Apparently, the same was not true in the opposite direction.

So Hels had merely scowled, putting all the force of his hatred into his glare, and then stalked back off to fume elsewhere, where Xisuma wouldn't find him. Who knows what Xisuma would have done to Hels if he had discovered that he was still alive.

That was a few weeks ago, and he hadn't seen anybody in quite some time, which is why when his communicator buzzes in his belt, he nearly stabs himself in the thigh with his sword. "What-" he says, brows creased, and he fumbles to pull his communicator from his pocket. His heart drops as he sees the message on his screen, letters reading out a username he hadn't seen for months.

[Xenicavoid] joined the game.

He lets out a choked gasp, shock bleeding through him. He's...how...after all this time? He's actually alive? He leaps to his feet, his second thought being, I need to get to him before Xisuma does. And so he races to his room, grabbing his neglected elytra from where it hung, dust-covered, for so many months. Pulling a handful of rockets out of a chest, he straps on his elytra and races out the door, praying that the elytra still works, and if he still knows how to fly it. Without any hesitation, he leaps off the broken bridge, his elytra catching the slight winds and letting him glide smoothly over the lava pools. Where was he last? he thinks anxiously, grabbing at loose ends in his memory. Over the void? No, Xisuma banished him from in his base... His thoughts, and his heart, come to a screeching halt as he sees a figure he would recognize anywhere stumbling along the nether floor, red and black armour glinting in the lava's light. "Xenica!" he cries, and then tucks into a tight dive, speeding towards the ex-admin. He pulls up at the last second, nearly crashing into a startled, disoriented Xenica.