[Lucky]

hey! so this is a re-write of a one shot I wrote a month or so after I got into a car accident. everyone was fine, but it was obviously a very scary experience, and I had a lot of trouble riding in cars for months afterwards. the way that scar experiences riding in a car for this oneshot is how I felt afterwards

WARNING! This oneshot contains hints of car crashes and panic attacks. If these topics make you uncomfortable or cause you panic, I'd advise you don't read this oneshot, but it's your personal opinion.

but yeah new writing that's not from years ago :O

WC: 2.5k

"SCAR!"

Scar sighs affectionately and looks up from the towels he was folding, to see his boyfriend come skidding into the room. "Scar, I promise I looked in all the places you told me to," Grian whines, adjusting his glasses, which had slid askew down his face. "I just can't find it!"

Scar laughs and gets to his feet, saying, "You owe me one of your epic pancake breakfasts if I find it almost immediately." Grian runs back down the hallway and Scar follows him, barking a laugh when he sees the state of their bedroom. Clothes and blankets and pretty much everything in the room is strewn across the floor, including Grian's glasses case, which Scar carefully picks up from under a Concorp t-shirt. "See?!" Grian exclaims, throwing his arms and wings up in the air in defeat. "I've looked everywhere!" Scar steps past Grian, knowing exactly where to look, and opens the cupboard in the corner of the room. Grian groans as Scar reaches onto the top shelf and pulls down exactly what Grian was looking for; his one hundred SPF sunscreen.

"Are you kidding me?!" Grian cries, pressing the heels of his palms into his eyes. "Of course I didn't find it up there! I'm too short!" Scar snorts and lightly tugs on one of Grian's wings, saying, "Wings, Gri, remember?" Grian sighs heavily and leans dramatically into Scar, who laughs. "I'm hopeless, Scar," Grian drawls, and Scar lightly kisses the shorter hermit's head. "Lucky you've got me around, eh?" he jokes, stepping around the piles of clothes to leave the room. "Better get pancake mix on the way to the beach!" he adds, and Grian groans from the bedroom.

Maybe half an hour later, they're finally ready (in Scar's opinion; Grian's still running around in a panic trying to find things). "Scar, where's my sketchbook?!" Grian yells from the bathroom, and Scar snorts. "Probably not in the bathroom, Gri!" he calls back, and Grian sighs loudly. "I know, but it's not anywhere else!"

Scar shoulders the duffel bag full of their supplies. "Why do you need your sketchbook?" he asks, and Grian appears from the hallway. The shorter hermit shrugs. "In case inspiration strikes," he replies, and Scar shakes his head with a laugh. "Why don't you save the inspiration until we get back home?" he says, putting his shoes on. "I can't remember it for that long!" Grian exclaims, and Scar gives his boyfriend a smile. "Hey," he says, "it's just the beach. You don't have to worry so much, Grian." Grian hesitates, his eyebrows creased, before he sighs. "Sorry," he says, laughing a little. "You're right. Just the beach." He grins, bouncing on his toes in newfound excitement. "Let's go, then, to 'just the beach'!" Scar laughs and pushes open the door, Grian bounding past him onto the porch, towards-

Scar's heart falls through his high-tops.

The car.

He feels like facepalming. Of course we have to take the car. How could I forget? He catches himself before he can freeze up completely and forces himself to walk towards the car, ignoring how his hands are shaking. Grian knows that he doesn't drive, and he knows why, but he doesn't know that Scar is still terrified of being in a car. Scar numbly puts the duffel bag in the back and climbs into the passenger seat, barely hearing Grian's excited rambling. It'll be okay, he thinks, desperate to calm himself down before Grian notices. Just...don't think about it. Think about how fun the beach will be. Think about how happy Grian is that we're going.