[New Year, New...us?]

wow oh boy I sort of forgot about updating this-

this one is almost sickly sweet, just saying

WARNING! This oneshot contains mild swearing! If this topic makes you uncomfortable or causes you panic, I'd advise not to read this one shot, but it's your personal decision.

WC: 2.8k

The night bustled with sounds and lights. The hermits were holding a New Year's party, and everyone on the server was present. The water off the coast of the shopping district was sparkling with reflections from all of the lights that Scar had strung through the trees. In Doc's opinion, it was bright enough to be daytime. He looked around from where he was standing against a mushroom at the edge of the party, smiling slightly as he watched his fellow hermits be the chaotic people that they were. Tango was stuffing his face with cupcakes, and Impulse and Zedaph were egging him on as the red-eyed hermit wiped pink frosting off his face with a huge smile. Mumbo was swooning over the little mushrooms that Scar had put around the shore; Doc had a feeling that Scar had put those there just to make Mumbo happy. Grian, who was making an unholy amount of racket, was pelting Keralis with Cheetos as the wide-eyed hermit chased his boyfriend around the food tables.

And then there was Bdubs.

Doc laughed to himself as Bdubs stuck his tongue out in concentration. He was trying to make a house of cards, which was an unusually calm activity for the feisty hermit to be taking part in. Joe was sitting beside him, probably saying some poetry nonsense. Doc found himself staring at Bdubs, blushing at the way that Bdubs' caramel eyes lit up as he placed another card on the top of his structure.

"My god, you look like a lovesick puppy."

Doc jumped and tore his eyes away from Bdubs. He wasn't surprised to see Etho walking towards him with a smug smile planted on his face. Doc couldn't see it, but he could tell it was there. He blushed and narrowed his eyes at the ninja. "Shut up," he hissed. "Not so loud." Etho shrugged. "It's not too much of a secret. Your crush on Bdubs is pretty obvious." Doc tensed, flushing even more red. "It is not," he growled, and Etho chuckled.

"Just kiss him already!" Etho exclaimed, though he did lower his voice. Doc's eyes widened and flickered over to Bdubs for a split second. Of course Etho noticed this, and he grinned. "No way!" Doc said, meeting Etho's heterochromatic eyes. "If anyone is going to be doing any kissing, it should be you and a certain someone." Doc pointedly looked at Beef, and Etho turned to see who the hybrid was looking at. He blushed a bit, and Doc smirked. "You go kiss Beef," Doc murmured, "and then maybe I'll consider your offer." To the hybrid's surprise, Etho looked back at Doc with a winning smile.

"Who's to say I haven't already?"

With that last comment that left Doc shocked speechless, Etho spun on his heel and walked away again. Doc stood in shocked silence for a moment, his eyes wide. And then he laughed. He covered his mouth and looked over at Beef, who was sitting at the shore. He chuckled as Etho walked over to sit beside Beef. Well then. Very smooth, Etho. He looked back at Bdubs.

Maybe I should take his advice to heart?

He sighed and ran a hand through his dark hair, looking up at the moon. He heard a particularly loud screech from Grian, who was still running from Keralis. He watched the shorter hermit just escape Keralis' grasp, only to crash into a mushroom and fall right into his boyfriend's arms. Doc bit his lip as they laughed. They make it look so easy. Is it easy?

Will it all work out? Do I tell him?

Or do I wait?

Is it seamless? Or does it take time?