First day (N)

POV Natasha

Getting up this morning was hard. I didn't get much sleep. I knew I shouldn't have gone to the club yesterday. Sometimes Becks just doesn't take no for an answer. I drag myself out of bed, into my bathroom and splash some water in my face. The cold water immediately wakes me. The red dress of the night before was still hanging on the chair in my bathroom. It was a good party tho.

Arriving at school, I take my bag and go to the entrance. A girl is standing next to the gate. I think I recognize her. It suddenly sinks in. She's the black haired girl I've seen at the club last night. I stop and stare at her. What is she doing here? Is she a teacher? What are the odds. When I get closer , she doesn't look at me anymore, she is to busy having a smoke. Would she recognize me? She is still wearing the same clothes as in the club. I wonder if she even went home before coming here. At second thought... A teacher, in those clothes? Is she... No? Would she be a student here?

"Aren't you supposed to be in class?" I ask. She doesn't really spend any attention on me so I had to tell something about the smoking. Maybe she would take the hint. She doesn't immediately reply, but when I enter I hear her say something.

I know I should turn around and get her into detention, but it is my first day and I don't know. There's just something about this girl, I can't pinpoint what tho. I hurry to my first class and enter a bit late. Students are already seated and fairly quit. Nice. I get in and introduce myself. Everything went well. For the first lesson I've let them all introduce themselves. The hour went smooth and fast.

Before I know the second group is entering. And this time, it is not for english, but it is my mentor group. I watch them all come in and by my surprise the black haired girl is in it. So she is a student. What was she doing at the club last night? She enters and goes right to the back, not even paying attention to anything around her. I try to call her out, and stand next to her. I look at her and notice something odd around her mouth. Her lower lip is ripped. Not a small rip, like with someone who is nervously pulling her lips. But severely ripped. I didn't notice this morning, probably because she was smoking and I didn't get that close. I don't want to say something about it when all the other students are watching me. She quickly covers her mouth with one of her hands as I continue the class. Occasionally I look at her, trying to make eye contact. What happened to this girl? Did she get in a fight last night in the club?

I call all students names and only one is left. Emma Jones? Everybody turns their head and looks at the black haired girl. That's her name, Emma. She doesn't respond. She's looking outside and not paying attention at all. I decide to let it be and start the information moment. The minutes go by and when the class is over, everybody gets up. I stare at Emma. I open my mouth and just when her name is about to leave my mouth another student says goodbye. I smile at him, say goodbye and look up again to see were Emma went, but she's gone. She was just to fast.

I stand up and go outside, but she is long gone. I return to my desk and several groups pass my class. The last group can leave early. It is a small group so the introductions went even faster. And to be honest, a first day is always exhausting so I'm glad we could stop a bit early. The last student leaves so i gather my stuff, close the door and find my way to the teachers lounge.

I put my stuff into my locker. They are lined up in 2 rows. One row facing the entrance and one facing the teacher lounge. My locker is facing the entrance. I get past the locker when my jaw drops to the floor. The teacher lounge is almost completely surrounded by large windows giving a mesmerizing view over the schools property. I walk up to one of the sides and see my car parked.

I feel someone standing next to me. I keep looking outside. 

"Beautiful teachers lounge isn't it?" I peak to the side, a kind face is looking at me. 

"Yeas it is" I nod. She reaches out her hand 

"Monica Green, science" 

"Natasha Brown, English" I say back, shaking her hand. I see something moving outside in the corner of my eye. Emma. She's smoking again as she walks on the parking lot. What's up with that girl. 

"You know her story?" I ask Monica. she nods. 

"Lost case tho, why are you interested?" 

"She's one of my mentor students. I didn't had the time yet to get to know her, but I want to be prepared." She smiles 

"You better be...Prepared I mean. I don't know everything. She keeps mostly to herself. Almost never talks to any teacher. She hasn't been to school for 2 years and returned today to finish her last year apparently. She is eighteen. Word's on the street that she will quit school as soon as she turns nineteen. You shouldn't spend much time on her, she really is a lost case..." I take a look at her, I can't believe she is already giving up on a student who just came back to school. My face is showing heartburning , I try to hide it but I think Monica sees right through it. She shakes her head. 

"If I can help you with anything, let me know. I would be more than happy to assist" she winks and wonders off. I focus on Emma again and see a black car pulling up. She gets in and the car leaves with squeaking tires.

I'm home, take of my shoes, hang my coat and leave my bag at the elevator. Glad I am home. I pour myself a glass of fine wine and drop myself into the lounge. 

"Siri, play some beach lounge music" music is coming from every corner in the apartment. I lean back, placing my wine on the side table next to the lounge, close my eyes and enjoy the music. My moment of silence is interrupted by the ringing of my phone. Becky. 

"Whats up Becks?" 

"Girl, you've got to come to this beach party tonight!" 

"Babe, It's getting late and I just want to sleep. I do work you know? Yesterday... actually this morning was already too late. I've only slept about 3 hours. My first day was exhausting" 

"No, you need to come. You told me yesterday that tomorrow you classes don't start until 10. Come on Nat..." she pauses 

"It's not because you're a teacher now that you can't have any fun" She tries to get under my skin. The worst part? It is working... Ugh. 

"I will come, but I'm not staying late OK! I'm leaving before midnight got it?" 

"Yeahyeah, just come. I'll send you the address. The boys and T. are coming too. FYI; dress code is beach party, so wear something you would wear to the beach" She hangs up.