Barbecue (E)

POV Emma

"But why?" I ask William as I follow him down the stairs. "It will be good for you Em's. You can make some new friends"  "Me? Making new friends? Why?"  "Because you're on the loose again." "What do you mean?" "Em..." he takes me by my arm. "Come, take a seat" I sit myself next to him. "You know I love you right?" I nod "I want you to succeed at school, you're having a rough time at home. Don't mess it up at school. Hanging with our friends is just getting you in trouble. All the girls, the partying, the smoking,..." I look at him and start laughing. "Look who's talking"

He gives me a smile "I know, but that's why i am telling you. You've got a shot at doing better. Take it. You were doing so great. Come on. I'll always have your back and if you really want to quit school and like the life you're now having, move in with me and work with me. i'll always have a position for you. But keep in mind, if there's only a small part of you that wants to do better, just do it. I'll help you no matter what" I look at him. He has his arm around me "Thank you" i say as i kiss his cheek. He nods "Get yourself ready, people will be arriving soon , if they're not already here!"

I get back to my room and take a shower. I open my closet and look at my clothes. What should I wear. I am not even sure who's coming. It is a barbecue so i don't need to be fancy. I pull out some ripped jeans shorts, a white extra long buttoned baseball shirt. I roll up the sleeves so my tattoos are better visible. I put my chains around my neck and shuffle me feet into my wrecked vans. I look in the mirror. Something is missing... aha. My bandana. I open a drawer and pull out a black and white bandana and put in around my head. Ready.

I get down and William was right. There's already a lot of animo going on. I walk into the garden and stand next to the pool. I overlook to check who's arriving. I can't believe me eyes. Miss brown is standing next to William talking. They're standing in a group of about 10 people. It looks like she's flirting with Will. Is she serious? How does she even know Will. What is she doing here. I don't need this shit right now. She is getting too close. I want to turn back but i am too late. William saw me and shouts at me. He comes up to me "just stay." He gives me a hug. I see Miss brown and the woman next to her looking at us. They're talking. Miss brown isn't having it but the woman next to her looks amused. William lets go and returns to them. He is getting a bit flirtatious.

I get to the bar and take a shot, before taking a beer and walking over to the pool. I kick off my shoes, pull off my socks and lower myself on the side of the pool. Put my feed in and sip my beer. The sun is shining and salsa music is playing in the background. Life is good, enjoying my alone time. I unbutton my shirt and lay down on my back. Getting my tan on. I put me beer to the side and pull out a cigaret. I put it in my mouth and search my pockets for a lighter. I can't find one. Damn, now i need to get up.

Someone's blocking my sunshine. I open my eyes. Miss brown is standing there with a lighter already turned on. She smiles gently at me. I move up a bit to light my cigaret and lift my body. She's having a seat next to me. Her feet in the water next to mine. "Hi" she says looking right in front of her. I don't reply. She makes me nervous. I can't think straight when she's around. But i can't tell her, I can't tell her anything. She'll treat me like all other teacher do, like a lost case. I can't have that. I pull up one leg, she puts her hand on my knee and pushes my leg down into the water again. When it's back to my starting position she positions her hand back next to her body. She looks at me "You can't keep running from me, William is watching us, he'd probably start asking questions"

I sigh, she's right. I put my cigaret back in my mouth , she lifts her hand and takes it out of my mouth. She looks at it for a moment and puts it in her own. I didn't see her as the smoking type. "You should stop smoking, it isn't healthy for you. You're too young" she says with a smile on her face. I am not saying anything. She look over at my stomach. I can feel her searching for my bruises. So I pull my shirt a bit closer. "I don't want to be a burden" I confess "Emma, You're one of my students. I can't help getting the feeling you're going through heavy shit and i want to help you. You've got so much potential. Just talk to me so i can help. Stop running away" she pauses. I look at her a bit surprised by her saying shit. "Please talk to me" she whispers as she lays her hand over mine. I sigh look over at William who is still staring. I see Miss brown peaking and while their eyes meet, she gives him a smile. "What do you want to know?" I ask her

"What do you want to tell me?" "Nothing." "Okey, let just get to know each other then, like the other students. I already know your name, but you don't mention anything else when you're at school...So... Do you have a nickname?" "Not really, most people just call me Em" "Okey, where do you live?" "Nowhere... everywhere...anywhere" I keep staring in front of me, i don't want to see her face when I tell her this. She lifts one eyebrow and looks at me with confusion on her face.

I whisper "Let it go, just ask the next question" it takes a while before she opens her mouth again "Why do you skip school so much?" "I didn't skip school yet, I was sick and the second time I've got suspended" "I know the official story, William's socials tell something else" i look at her and she smiles "school is a waste of time" i can see by the look on her face, she isn't buying this. Luckily she doesn't get deeper into it. "What about your friends? Do you have some special persons in your life?" I am not sure what she's talking about. Is she fishing for William or really interested. Or does she want to know whether I am single. Why would she want to know that. No probably just asking about William. "I've known them for a few years now, they've got my back"

A hand is grabbing my shoulder , I look a side and see another hand on miss brown shoulder. I turn a round. William. "Hi beautiful ladies, are you joining us? Dinner is ready" I get up by myself. William is giving miss brown a hand. We walk over to the table and get seated.