The italian place (N)

POV Natasha

Emma's class is having a field trip today. This morning when I arrived in the parking lot, I saw her going in the bus with the rest of the students so I am sure she's present today. I hope she turns up for our session. The busses should arrive back at school in ten minutes so it won't take long now.

I still have some time so I place myself at my desk and open up her sketchbook. She left it behind yesterday and this morning I placed it in my desk so no-one would see it. It is too tempting. I am curious to what she created since the last time I've checked it. This girl has so much talent and doesn't seem to know it herself.

I lean back and turn the pages one by one. The drawing she made of a woman that looks just like me is still in it. I keep looking and see a lot of new works. Her sketchbook is almost full. She writes lyrics and poems as well. She's creative. I read some lines and I am truly moved by it. Wow. It gets to me. "From the nerve in my finger, to the bottom of my heart, the touch of your skin turns into a touch from your soul" how can she be so tender, gently, loving on the inside but so harsh, brutal and repellent on the outside.

Maybe this can break the ice. I look out the window and see her leave the bus and walk to the school building. i turn my head to my door. She should come in any minute now. My phone buzzes. Becky. "Hi babe, what's up?"  "why didn't you tell me you saw Will last week? He invited us to this fancy party?" "I am sorry, I just forgot to tell you" I lie to her. "What where you doing at his house anyways?" "I can't talk right now honey, a student of mine is entering any minute now for a tutoring session... babe,  I love you, but I really need to go. I'll call you tonight ok?"

I end the call and hear something in the hallway. I walk over to my door and look to the right, nothing. I look to the left and see Emma walk through the door. I want to go after her but someone pulls me by my arm. "Hi , what are you still doing here?" I know this voice.

I turn around and come face to face with Monica. "oh , hi Monica, how are you?" "I am fine, how about you?" She asks looking me into my eyes. "I was waiting for Emma again. She has a second tutor session" "are you disappointed it's me standing here?" "No" her smile is getting bigger, she tilts her head and tells me "she's gone. She stood her in front of your door but I think she changed her mind because she took off after a minute or two" Now I am confused. So she get's of the bus, walks in , stands in front of my door and somehow decides to change her mind and go home.

"Now, you've got some spare time" Monica continues "you want to join me for dinner? I know this great Italian restaurant not far from here"  I hesitate "come on, it will be fun! You need to eat something" "you're right about that" I reply. I can't say no again, We walk out to our cars.

"Let's take mine" Monica says. I don't blame her. The car I use to get to school looks wrecked. It's an old car with some bumps on the side. Grey colored on the outside, black on the inside. It isn't fancy nor inviting. While she drives a range rover. By the looks of it, fairly new. "New car?" I ask. "Yeah, I've bought it past week" it is Matt black on the outside with chrome details in the bodywork. The rims aren't standard either. They look like several small V shaped parts are stacked onto each other and they can move separately. The calipers are bright red. I open the passenger door and get in. The interior is finished with chrome and red details. It all matches. "Nice ride" I say and she gets this big smile on her face looking at me.

She hops in on her side of the car after closing my door. When the engine starts, music is coming from all over the car. It has a pretty extensive sound system.

The Italian place looks really cosy from the outside. It has this vintage Italian look going on. Red white checkered curtains hanging in arches at the windows. Dark wooden tables accompanied by matching chairs which have a small flat cushion in the same colors and pattern as the curtains. On the white tablecloth, napkins stand out with their, once again, white and red checkered pattern. It had something cute. The candles at the tables, the pizza oven in the middle of the room and the music playing in the background contributed to a romantic setting.