First Day

Today is officially my first day of senior year. As much as I am excited, I'm also nervous. Starting school is hard. On top of that living in one of the most ghetto towns in the state doesn't really motivate you. Alex told Erick and me to avoid a gang called the Socials. Socs for short. I don't plan on making a lot of friends because I'm so focused on getting into a good college. Which is super rare for a girl. Even rarer for a Latina. Anyways, hopefully, the day goes by smoothly.

I closed my journal and made my way to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I was already ready for the day and packed some extra clothes just in case I had PE today. Since my mom enrolled so late Erick and I get our schedules today.

I made my way downstairs and saw my mom making some crepes. Normally I'm with my mom in the kitchen cause I love cooking so much. My mom said that should be my major, but I thought of it more as a hobby and not a profession.

I sat down and my mom passed a plate to me and gave me one crepe.

"Muchas gracias, mama. Can I have one more though? I'm really hungry." I asked my mom. She of course gave me another one and told me not to tell my brother.

Speaking of my brother, he was racing down the stairs backpack in one hand, duffel bag in the other.

"Ma, food now. And can you get my shorts, please?" He ordered my mom. My mom just glared at him. Sometimes he acts so much like my dad.

You're going to get our ass beat. I thought.

"Sorry, mom. It's just that I'm in a rush." He took a seat while my mom got him his shorts.

"Erick, you should really learn something called manners. Does it ring a bell?" I asked him pointing to my head.

"Shut the fuck up, dipshit." He responded, flipping me off.

"Shut your trap, dickhead."

"Eat crap, perra."

"Fuck yourself, you son of a bi-"

"Enough!" My mom yelled out. I guess that one just kinda slipped out. So now Erick and I are grounded for a fucking month. A whole month. So much can happen in just one month.

Erick, Alex, and I walked to school since we live so close to the school. We had a lot of eyes on us. Some are not so friendly. Alex had built a reputation during his time here. That's probably why I had so many eyes on me.

"Alex, my man. Who are these people?" Some jock asked Alex.

"A couple of friends back when I was in Jersey. Erick and Y/N this is Cato. Cato, this is Erick and Y/N." Alex introduced us. Erick gave Cato a handshake. I just waved.

"So Alex, this girl yours?" Cato asked him, with a big toothy grin. Alex and I shifted our bodies. We were never asked that question.

Back in New Jersey, we dated for almost a year. That's till Alex had to move when we were in 8th grade. It was a sad departure but at least we reunited.

"Not anymore, no," Alex mumbled. I felt bad for Alex. I had a small feeling that he still liked me.

"Well man, I'll see you in Math. See yall later." Cato said. We waved to him and then Erick and I left to go get our schedules.

"That was awkward," Erick says very slowly.

"Ya think? I mean, who asks that?" I respond.

"Anyways, hopefully, we don't get too many classes together. It'd be weird." Erick says.

"True. Hopefully, we get History together though. I hate it so much."

"Hopefully."

We made our way to the guidance counselor and got our schedules. Erick and I got 5 out of 9 classes together. One of them being PE.