The Party

The week passes by in a blur. Nova had gotten used to the looks pretty quickly. She even leaned into it, waving at people and flipping the mean stares off. Friday was the party, so that they'd have Saturday to be hungover and a final day of sobriety before Monday.

Sara and Nova had been texting all week, to the point where Nova was actually looking forward to texting Sara. Plus, their conversations would often abandon platonic suggestions, and would have enough innuendos for Nova to question if Sara was actually not as straight as she thought she was.

Jennie and Nova got ready and took the bus to NorthRidge, which was about 30 minutes away if you walked, and 15 minutes away if you take the bus.

They got off the bus and walked towards the house. They heard the party before they saw it, and the view was...actually it was what you would imagine a high school rager to look like. Nova didn't want to know what Halloween would look like.

The two girls walk in as Rick, the quarterback, was seen doing a handstand on a keg, while everyone surrounding him shouted "CHUG CHUG CHUG"

Nova and Jennie confirmed their safe word text and soon drifted away from each other. Nova headed to the kitchen full of a variety of alcohol bottles that costed more than her rent, and loads of people passing around pre rolled blunts.

She heard the song change to Ain't Shit by Doja Cat and everyone in the party whooped and cheered. Everyone chanted the lyrics to the top of their lungs, and Nova used this as an opportunity to grab as many blunts as she could.

Hey, she couldn't say no to free weed.

Nova moves to the dance floor and spots Gareth with Milani, which she promptly gave the stink eye two. Gareth didn't hesitate to give it back. How could he not know this is exactly what Milani wanted to happen?

She ignores it and sways with the music, which had changed from party ragers to more sensual songs. She finally spots Sara, and goes towards her.

Sara turns and meets Nova's eyes.

"Hey! I'm so glad you could make it."

"Thanks for inviting me, this looks amazing."

"Well, you know the saying about parties.."

Nova did not know the saying about parties.

"...the only way you know it's a success is if it bleeds onto the next day."

The conversation slowly died down and they'd been standing there for some time now. Nova was really losing her patience so she says "you wanna dance?" and holds a hand out for Sara.

Sara grins while interlocking her fingers with Nova's. They dance near each other, and slowly, barely noticable if you weren't looking, they moved closer to each other.

Only someone was looking.

And that someone would be Milani.

Though, neither Nova nor Sara noticed, as all they could do is look at each other. Nova had a small smile on her face, which Sara took as invitation to wrap her arms around Nova.

Sara quietly asked if they wanted to go somewhere less quiet and led Nova to another room beside the main dance and drinks room. In there were couches and a little bit more lighting, which a few people talking to each other.

The two girls stood in a corner, and Nova let Sara gently push her against the wall as she looked up to kiss her. Nova turned her neck down to reach her better, and placed her hands into Sara's belt loops, to pull her hips closer. Nova raised her eyebrows in question, and in reply to Sara's nod, she cupped Sara's face and slowly brought their lips together. 

They stayed there making out and as their hands started wandering around each other more, and their kiss got more intense, they heard a loud smash in the main room.

"Shit!" they heard from the other room.

They broke the kiss and Sara apologetically looked at Nova before rushing towards the sound. 

Nova waited for a few minutes, but noticed Sara likely won't be coming back for a while, and went out on the front porch to take a breather. 

There weren't too many kids outside. However there was a buttload of red cups littering the lawn. Nova shook her head disappointedly and pulled out a pack of cigarettes from her pocket and lit one as she looked towards the full moon. 

She heard faint voices and recognized one of them. Milani. 

It was only then that she noticed her. Standing there. Drunk out of her mind. Protesting against Rick, the very drunk quarterback, who wanted to take her back to his place. 

Nova stood there, not knowing what to do. On one hand, she was sure Milani had this handled, she didn't want to bring herself in more shit with her. 

But on the other hand. Milani was wasted. She very clearly didn't have it handled. Plus girls protecting girls and whatnot. 

Nova put out her cigarette and did something she would pray any other girl would do if she was in Milani's situation, and went towards the voices. 

"... want to stay here."

"You could have more fun with me."

Nova quickly assessed the situation and interrupted their conversation. 

"Hey Rick, sorry to interrupt," She looked over to Milani and continued "Milani, my parents are asking me how our sleepover is going, I think we should head back." Nova hoped she sounded convincing, though of course she should, she's an actor for fucks sake. 

Before anyone could say anything, she pulled Milani's arm and dragged her near the street.

"Where are your keys?" Nova hurriedly questioned Milani, and stuffed her hands in all of her jacket pockets to find them. 

Sure Nova wasn't the best driver but not the best is always better than terrible. 

She dragged Milani towards her car, and took off towards her trailer, but not before texting Jennie about the situation. 

She thought about what happened. She didn't think Rick was the type of guy to take advantage of someone like that, but she was more focused on explaining the situation to a very hungover Milani tomorrow.