Chapter Twenty Three

A Few Weeks Later

"Are you ready, Max?" El asked her best friend as she helped her pack all her hospital stuff into a bag.

Max just nodded as she looked around to see if there was anything she had missed. Today she was being discharged from the hospital and although she had started to remember some things she still knew she had a long way to go.

She thought back to a couple of weeks ago when a man with big hair walked in. He seemed familiar but she couldn't remember his name. What she did know is that she immediately felt comfortable around him.

"Hey Max, I'm Steve. How are you feeling?" He slowly walked over to the chair next to her bed and sat down.

"Ah, El told me about you. You're the babysitter, right?"

Steve chuckled. "Yeah, I guess you could call me that! Dustin calls me Mama Steve."

"Mama Steve? That's funny!" Max giggled, sitting up in bed a bit more. As she did so Steve reached forward and adjusted her pillows for her. She watched him with amusement. "Now I see why he calls you that!"

"Listen, I know you don't remember me yet but I know you have no place to go when you get out of here and I was wondering..." Steve hesitated for a second, not wanting to freak her out or put pressure on her. "Would you like to live with me and my boyfriend? It's just, I've always seen you as one of my kids and I just want to be there for you."

Max sat quietly, taking in every word he said. She could tell he was nervous to ask her and she appreciated him for being cautious. "I may not remember you but right now you are making me feel comfortable and safe and I trust those feelings. So yes! I'd love that."

Steve could feel tears of joy start to form in his eyes. He wanted to hug Max but he knew it was too soon for that. He wanted to gain her trust and rebuild their friendship.

"You mentioned you have a boyfriend? That's cool! Did you know my brother, Billy? He liked guys too!"

Steve thought he heard her wrong but quickly realised he hadn't. "Bil.. Billy was gay?"

"Well, he was bisexual but his Dad would have beaten him if he found out."

Steve didn't reply. He didn't know what to say. He had always wondered why Billy had been so horrible to him. There was no good excuse whatsoever for his behaviour towards people but Steve could imagine Billy was just trying to make sure no one figured it out.

"What's your boyfriend like?" Max asked, pulling him out of his thoughts.

"Eddie? He is amazing. You two actually lived across from each other before everything happened."

"We did? I can't wait to re-meet him then!"

Steve smiled and patted her on the hand. "I've got to go but I'll be back in a couple of days, okay? Are you sure you want to come and live with me?"

Max nodded her head as enthusiastically as she could without causing herself any pain. "From what I've heard from the others you've been more of a parent to me than my Mom was so yes, I'm very sure! Also, can I have a hug?"

"Of course you can, Max! Always." He gently pulled her into his arms and smiled when he felt her relax. "I'll see you later, kiddo!"

Max was brought back to the present by the sound of the door opening. She turned to see Steve entering, a smile on his face and a Welcome Home balloon in his hand. She felt the happiest she had since she had woken up. She had started remembering the events with Vecna leading up to her being in a coma and those lead to her having nightmares. She had really been struggling but thankfully she had some good friends. Even if she didn't really remember them.