Chapter Thirty Two

3 Weeks Later

Steve, Eddie and Robin were loading all their furniture into the moving van. They had already gotten Robins furniture the day before and she had stayed the night. Max and Lucas were inside making sure they had everything while Erica sat on the porch with all the suitcases. While Robin and Eddie were trying to get a wardrobe into place Steve watched the young girl. He smiled to himself as he thought about how the kids wouldn't be splitting up after all.

After he had gotten back from the road trip with Joyce and Jonathan he had come home to a phone call from Mike. The young boy had asked him to come over as soon as possible. He was confused as to why Mike would need him but he quickly left for Hawkins anyway, giving Eddie a brief rundown before he left.

Steve pulled up to the Wheeler house, still wondering why Mike would need him. He was soon ripped out of his thoughts when Mike and Lucas ran out of the house and towards his car. They impatiently waited for him to get out and then dragged him by both arms inside the house.

"Dudes, hold on a second. What's wron..." He trailed off as they dragged him into the livingroom. Not only were the Wheelers sat there waiting for him but also the Sinclair family. Steve began to feel even more nervous and he started to sweat a little bit.

"Don't look so worried, Steve! We haven't brought you here for anything bad. I promise!" Mrs Wheeler said, getting up from beside her husband. "Would you like a coffee?"

Steve had no words. All he could do was nod and let the two teens guide him to an arm chair. Everyone sat in an awkward silence for a few moments before Mrs Wheeler came back in with a mug of coffee, set it down on the table beside Steve and sat back down beside her husband.

"The kids told us you were moving to California along with Joyce and Mrs Henderson." Mr Sinclair spoke first. Steve had never spoken to the man but he was a bit intimidating.

"That's right, sir."

"After all these crazy things that have happened in this town, all the murders and that crazy earth quake we don't want our kids to stay here." Mr Wheeler said, hugging his young daughter a little bit tighter. "They always seem to be involved in something."

"How would you feel about taking Mike, Lucas and Erica with you?" Mrs Wheeler asked, giving him a hopeful look.

Steve was speechless and unable to reply straight away. Everyone sat quietly and watched as Steve processed what they had just asked him. After a few minutes he was finally found his voice.

"Why me?"

"The kids have told us all about how you've looked after them over the years. They made it sound like you would put your life on the line to protect them and we respect and appreciate that." Mrs Wheeler said, giving him a warm smile.

"We can't leave Hawkins. We have too many ties here but they don't. We know they would be safe with you, Joyce and Mrs Henderson." Mrs Sinclair piped up after keeping quiet the whole time.

"And Nancy of course. If you need time to think about it we understand, Steve. But you are the only one these kids seem to trust and if they trust you they must have very good reason to."

Steve turned to look at the kids in question and found they were all looking hopefully at him. He turned back to their parents and found them giving him the same look.

"I don't need to think about it. I would protect these kids with my life. I can promise you that!" He exclaimed, finally getting over his shock and starting to get excited. He couldn't wait to tell the others they wouldn't be splitting the family up.