Chapter Thirty Five

"Max! Can you come down a minute please?" Steve shouted as he stuffed everything he needed for work into a backpack. He smiled to himself when her bedroom door immediately opened.

"What's up, Mama Steve?" She asked as she came into view and took a seat at the kitchen table.

"What are your plans for today?"

"I was thinking of going next door to hang out with El, if that's okay?"

"Of course it's okay! I was just wondering because Rob and Eddie will be at work til about 6 and I won't be home til late. I didn't want you to be home alone all day." He said as he zipped up his bag and set it down by the kitchen door. He walked over to Max and pulled her into a quick hug which she happily returned. After he pulled away he reached into his trousers and pulled out his wallet, giving her a twenty dollar bill. "That's for if you and El wanna go to the beach later. Behave and I will see you tonight!"

"Have a good day at work. Kick some ass!" Max patted him on the arm and swiftly left the room.

"Will do, kiddo!" He called after her. Steve quickly double checked his backpack before swinging it over his shoulder and heading for the front door. On his way he passed the table in the foyer but stopped and backed up to smell the white roses that were sitting in a see through vase. They were the second bunch of roses Eddie has gotten him in the past couple of weeks and they never failed to make him smile every time he passed them. Steve left the house and whistled to himself as he made his way to the car.

"Hey Steve!"

Steve turned his head to find Hopper strolling towards him. "Hey Hop! How's the new mechanic job going?"

"I do miss being a cop but man, this is a bit less stressful and the hours are better. Can't complain! How's your new job going?" He asked as he lit up a cigarette.

"Honestly? It's a little challenging. I don't know how you did it!"

"I've watched you over the years, son, and you remind me a lot of me. The way you've protected those kids and fought for them. You're going to be an even better cop than I ever was! Go get em', Steve!" He patted Steve on the shoulder and gave him a wink before heading back to his own car, getting in and driving off.

Steve smiled to himself as he got into his car and set off for the Police Station. It was his second week of training and he always got there a little bit early to make a good impression. Everyone seemed nice enough and he had already made friends with one of the other trainees.

Ten minutes later he pulled up outside the station and grabbed his backpack. As he strolled inside he passed the lovely old receptionist who gave him a warm smile and offered him a fudge. He politely declined and headed to his department where his friend, Rupert Carver, was waiting for him by his desk.

"Morning Harrington! Ready for another boring day of paperwork?" Carver asked, bumping his shoulder into Steves. Instead of replying Steve quietly chuckled and shook his head, setting his stuff down and taking a seat.

"Actually, newbie, we were going to change it up a bit but you know what? You can stay behind and carry on with paper work!" A deep voice came from behind them and he watched Carver freeze, an embarrassed look appearing on his face. They both looked up to see the Chief strutting towards them. The older man turned his attention to Steve. "It's Harrington, right? How would you feel about a ride along?"

"Me, sir? Are you sure?" Steve asked in disbelief. He hadn't expected to go on a ride along just yet but he wouldn't pass up on the opportunity.

"I wouldn't have asked you if I wasn't sure. You will be Officer Howells shadow for the day." Chief Shaw announced before turning and leaving the room.