Chapter 4, Entertainment

Time skip, 4 years

Work in the Demon Slayer corp is tiring to say the least, and after awhile, it gets depressing. You of course never considered quitting, no families deserve to get massacred like your own. Since you have no friends or family to socialize with, your went to the entertainment district frequently. You decided to take the night off and go out by yourself. It's against the rules to drink in the Demon Slayer Corp, so you've never tasted alcohol before. You're only 19, but don't most people start drinking at like 16?

You made your way to the lively bar and picked out a seat. As you sat down on the barstool, your shoulder brushed up against someone else's. You started to apologize, "Oh, sorry about-" Once the man turned his head, your realized who it was. It was the infamous sound pillar, Tengen Uzui. It was obvious you were underage, and he could report you for drinking. Your face went blank. You stood up at an ungodly speed and tried to walk away, but he didn't let you. He grabbed your arm and pulled you back into your seat with ease. He laughed, "Not so fast. I can't let such a pretty girl just walk away."

You turned your head away from him and stated, "Thank you sir, but I really have to go." He questioned, "What's the rush? I didn't do something wrong did I?" You seriously needed to leave, you could be suspended from the Demon Slayer Corp if he found out your age. Just as you were about to make up some dumb excuse, he asked, "You're in the Demon Slayer Corp? Rank Kinoto? Your just below pillar level!" He must've spotted your uniform under your colorful haori. You had a bad feeling about coming here in the first place. It's against the rules. You're supposed to be fighting demons right now. All you could think to say was, "Please Mr. Uzui, don't tell anyone that I was here. I really like my job, I don't want to be fired!" Once he finished laughing, he exclaimed, "I'm not a prude! Would you mind if I bought us a round?"

You prayed this wasn't a setup, cause you wanted to agree to drink with him. You nodded slowly. You didn't know what to order. It's not like you can get shitfaced infront of him. You've already embarrassed yourself enough. He tried to make small talk, "So, how old are you?" Without thinking, you blurted, "19." His eyes widened as he scratched the back of his head and mumbled, "Holy shit.." Why in the world would you tell him that your only 19? How old is he? But you didn't have to ask to figure it out. He said, "I uhh, I'm 26." Something about a 19 and 26 year old sitting together at a bar didn't seem right. Free drinks is a plus I guess.

As the bartender came over, Tengen offered, "You go first." You murmured, "I'll just take a beer.." Tengen told, "Make that two!" The bartender replied, "Alright, I'll be right back with those." Uzui smiled at you saying, "I never caught your name." You responded, "Y/n l/n." After you said that, you two sat in awkward silence for what felt like forever. The bartender came back with your beers and slid one to each of you. She exclaimed, "Enjoy!" Tengen immediately picked up the beer and took a sip. He asked, "What breathing technique do you use?"

You replied, "Water breathing. I know it's not the most sophisticated style, but I like it, and I'd say I'm pretty good at it." Uzui joked, "Ha! You should replace our current water pillar. He's a complete jerk! Nobody likes him." But you didn't find that funny. Whoever the water pillar is, you're sure they worked very hard for their position. You laughed awkwardly and stated, "Sure." He leaned in close to you and whispered, "We need more recruits." You replied, "Aren't 9 pillars are enough?"

He rolled his eyes and said, "If you're truly interested, Kagaya is always looking at new recruits." Of course you were interested, what demon slayer wouldn't be? But you'd feel terrible for the current water pillar. They shouldn't have to retire just because their colleague thinks your cute. He begged, "Please? If anything it'll be fun. My colleagues would love to meet you!" You thought for a moment. Maybe this could be a good way to finally make friends. You nodded, "Okay. Why not?" He beamed, "Great! Let's finish this date first." Your face became red. A date? That's not right. You don't date anymore. Tengen is 26. That means you were 17 while he was 24. He asked, "Are you okay? Your face is beat red. Are you coming up on a fever?"